Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs

Transplanting Clematis and Dublin Bay Climbing roses

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Yorky
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Transplanting Clematis and Dublin Bay Climbing roses Reply with quote

Hello all, I want to transplant the above-mentioned as I am extending a driveway into this part of the garden. Can they be transplanted at any time of year and what is the procedure to ensure success? They were planted last summer. Thanks in advance.
BlackBird
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late autumn or winter is the safest time to move an established rose and the clematis.
But yours are quite young so you may have some success. Cut them back before moving and dig as wide as possible around them when transplanting. Keep the transplants well watered after the move.
verge

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post on transplanting has lots of tips which are suitable for use on your rose and clematis http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about773.html

Also possibly consider running your driveways tarmac, brick or whatever surface up to within 1ft or so of the the plants. Leaving them their own island to grow within
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorky, another article that you should read here, before you make the move....... http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=488
dinahdabble
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been lifting and shuffling clematis plants arround all summer on accounts of larger developments. As yet they still havn't found a perminent home. It seems they don't object to being moved at this stage, but they do stop growing for a few weeks. No matter in winter, so I am sure you will be OK.

Now for my own problem: The previouse tenents planted clematis, honeysuckle and roses in plastic tubs. They grew well until this year, when disaster struck; The tubs began to perish! Plastic is dropping off in chunks, and spliting, leaking soil and water everywhere. The tubs stand on breeze blocks at variouse hights, and the plants are tightly woven into a trellis. Either I've to risk cutting them down bellow the trellis to repot, or think of a way of suspending them, root and all, in the air while I repot them. Realisticaly, in line with the normal laws of physics, it looks like it'll have to be the big chop, which I dread! I fear also that the trellis will drop to bits once the plants have been cut back, so it looks like I will have to rebuild the whole thing. There's obviousely a moral in this story: don't use cheap plastic tubs for long lived plants.

Good luck with your climbers.

Dinah
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: