Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Productive Hedge

Most Recent Posts Pisonous plant in the garden this month
Last post: Sue Deacon
Quiet times
Last post: Sue Deacon
Honeymoon Honesty
Last post: Greengage
Warning of Stormy Weather, Ireland, 11/3/08 to 12/3/08.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Keeks
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Productive Hedge Reply with quote

I am under orders from the Powers that be that i must screen my veg patch at the bottom of the garden so I am looking for a productive hedge (fruit, berry etc) that will act as as screen.

It doesnt need to be that big around 3ft would be ideal so looking fir suggestions.

What i am leaning towards is something that i can make a drink from possibly even alcoholic 😀😀

What i am thinking of at the moment is possible elderflower but not so sure how this would do as a hedge that size? But it is that kind of idea, something that i can turn into a cordial, fruit juice and possibly something a little stronger
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a fence 4' highwith wires spaced 8" apart. This will give you a Small gap at the bottom and four courses of wire. Then plant either a thornless Blackberry, a Tayberry, a Loganberry, Boysenberry etc. any of those will work. Then train them along the wires. How long is the space?
Blowin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm right in how I read your initial post, Her Indoors doesn't want to look at your veg patch? Elder will be useless for that, nowhere near thick enough to use as a screen, and I think you'll need to prune any of the berries suggested carefully to make sure all the gaps in foliage are filled. In fact, most food plants that I can think of will shed a lot of their screening properties in winter, which leaves me to suggest a row of bay tree bushes. They'll certainly remain dense all year and someone may know of a wine recipe you can make from the leaves. After all, isn't it a member of the tea family?
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Espalier apples = cider.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Blowin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 3ft Tagwex? And no leaves in winter?
tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't see the gaps due to hangover.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
Won't see the gaps due to hangover.
Laughing Laughing

Elder is a lovely idea for elderflower cordial/wine and elderberry wine (YUMMY) but as Blowin says you'll never get flowers or fruit from a 3ft elder. They can grow as much as 6ft in one season, the more you prune, the more they grow and you lose all the flowers.

If you have the space, I would go with espalier or cordon apples and pears with a double row of raspberry canes behind them. Yes they are deciduous but with the horizonal, diagonal and vertical lines they would still screen the veg and you'd have pies, jam, cider, perry, wine, vodka .... what more could you want? Very Happy

Keeks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas.

Espaliers is a good idea but I think i will take too long before i could get any kind of screening that would be suitable. Looking for something a little quicker.

Besides that I have apples elsewhere in the garden and don't want too much of the same thing.

Berries was my first thought, but any I looked at were all around 6ft and although I need to check properly, that will start to cast a shadow over a part of the patch. when I check properly I may get away with more than a 3ft screen.

But I think what Tippben idea may be the way to go. What i might do is put in 4ft posts with wires and then put in a windbreak screen.....then plant Various berries either side spaced apart.

The idea of different berries appeals to me i.e Tayberry, Loganberry, Boysenberry etc

And at one side of the fence I may get a chance o put in Elderflower and let it grow higher to screen the Polytunnel.

In total I have about 15-20metres to play with.
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like blueberries, a blueberry hedge might be the way to go. You can keep the at 3-4ft, lovely blossom in the spring, yummy berries and nice Autumn colour. Yes they are deciduous but can get quite dense and form a screen. They need acid soil but unless you garden on limestone, a bag of ericacious compost per plant and a yearly top dressing of leaf mould does the job fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: