Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Gathering your own horse manure

Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
Ancient human remains found of the first politician
Last post: marlin vs
Who's growing what ???
Last post: Sneachta
Gardening Books
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
mange tout
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Gathering your own horse manure Reply with quote

I managed to source some horse manure from a friend, but I suspect the horses, used for riding and jumping, are probably dosed

It occurs to me that my mother in law has about half a dozen Connemara ponies on a few acres in galway. They're not broken in and are fed almost exclusively on the land. I'd say they're rarely dosed.

How feasible would it be for me to walk the fields with a wheelbarrow and gather the dung? Is this realistic or do you really need a concentration of horses in an area (ie stables) to make manure production feasible? If I was to gather it how would I go about leaving it to decompose? Does it need to be protected from the elements? Do I need to add straw to get the balance right?
vincent71

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: horse manure Reply with quote

Hiya, ask first if the horses are dosed. Depends on how much you need. It will be a lot easier to organise a tractor and trailer to pick and deliver a load to you instead of collecting in a bucket around a field.
If it's covered from the elements there will be a lot less leaching of nutrients which will be washed out if uncovered.
Let it break down as long as possible so there's no manure smell and it's friable in your hands and dark in color.

Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, if you know which part of your plot you're going to use it on, put it straight on it and leave nature to do the rest?
Sue Deacon
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years back a friend bought me a link box full of donkey poo from his donkey - Wexford (I kid you not). I put most of it around my old apple trees. It 'burnt' the long grass and weeds around the trees and slowly rotted down into a lovely, friable mulch. The first feed the trees had had in about 60 years! They loved it. Very Happy

The following spring I put the remainder on the roses. The donkey is 'dosed' against worms etc but nothing to worry about and certainly nowhere near as bad as some of the weed killing cxxp that some of us gardeners use. Wink

mange tout

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect it'd take a long time with a wheelbarrow and shovel to gather enough dung to create a bags worth of broken down manure. Certainly not time efficient. But I'm still tempted. The holistic circle type side of it appeals to me.
Gautama
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that most horses are dosed for gut worms and this is in the manure, where it goes on to kill earthworms. I dunno how true this is. I use cattle manure and it's full of worms.
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Equines are not dosed on a regular basis and the stuff leaves the system fairly quickly. If you know of their management you can avoid any problems there might be. Works for us anyway. Our earthworm count is on the up - there were practically none in our garden when we first moved here. Wish I could say the same for ladybirds and lacewings - their count is still zilch.
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there were six ponies in a field, I'd buy six wheelbarrows and tie them onto the back of the ponies, like carts. The ponies could then fill up the wheelbarrows themselves. Lead the ponies back to your garden and untie the now full wheelbarrows. Job done! Smile Smile Smile
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
vincent71

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up two van loads of well rotted horse manure this week from the farmer next door. Absolutely chocker block full of worms.
tagwex

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Lady Fermanagh. What is the midge count?
@ KS. You need a carthorse not a pony.
@ Vincent. Sounds like you done very well for yourself there.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to report midge count is down on last year - fewer places for the little blighters to hide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: