Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses

Is my Bamboo phyllost Aurea dying?

Most Recent Posts Anyone know what this is called
Last post: Black&Amber
What is this plant guys
Last post: Margo
re potato spraying
Last post: tagwex
Broad bean question.
Last post: mange tout

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
conoros
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Is my Bamboo phyllost Aurea dying? Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently (4 weeks ago) planted 5 Aurea bamboos (1.5 - 2 metre).

It is a south facing garden but the bamboo is planted against the fence so would have a north facing aspect which is in shade most of the day.

I planted them in a partial raised bed of soil, manure, compost mixture and watered well every day. The house/garden is part of a new development and the soil is quite bad (rocky/dry in places - i also dug out a small french drain when digging out the area for the bamboo and i did not encounter 1 worm/insect etc).

All was well until the latter 2 weeks, they started losing leaves and turning yellow - whilst the weather was good - sunny with a cool wind, actually quite windy at times. i am somewhat confused as to what is happening.
Are they failing from "shock", too much water, too little water or wind shear?? Any opinions/advice appreciated.
many thanks, Conor

20170509_205730.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  701.22 KB
 Viewed:  391 Time(s)

20170509_205730.jpg

20170514_130602.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  715 KB
 Viewed:  390 Time(s)

20170514_130602.jpg

20170514_130628.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  913.49 KB
 Viewed:  388 Time(s)

20170514_130628.jpg

20170514_130639.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  915.97 KB
 Viewed:  386 Time(s)

20170514_130639.jpg

kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure but maybe the cold wind affected them before they'd settled in?

I have the same type also planted in a narrow north facing run but mine have been planted 7 years now.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Greengage

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stress from move give them time
conoros

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot, i will wait and i think i won't water anymore unless after a sunny day in the evening, little nervous as i paid quite a bit for them!!
Good guy

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope your bamboo recover well for you. I expect they will as they are pretty tough plants.

Many of the plants we buy are kept in very sheltered circumstances before they are put on sale - to ensure good growth and good looking plants. But when they are planted in our gardens they often have to deal with very different conditions and they can suffer badly.

Last year I planted a small Japanese maple in the shady end of one of my alpine beds. My idea was that it would work well with the erythroniums I also planted there. And it looked great - until some cold windy April days! The leaves got shredded and I was ready to pull the tree out. But I decided to put up with the tattered remnants for the season and find out if it would grow back in a more resilient way this year. It has done and it took all the dry cold April wind this year with no sign of damage.

So my advice on your bamboo it to wait (with fingers crossed) and trust that your good preparation and the plants' will to live will do the trick.
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. It sounds like you have done your best for them and it is just the shock of planting them out.

I recently took out a second mortgage (only kidding!) and bought two golden bamboo. As we were having tree work done, I only planted one of them (the other was to be right next to a tree that was coming down). We had some cold, windy weather and the one I planted was checked in it's growth. It's picking up now and it is the other, pot-bound one that is struggling now.

Considering the soil and it's lack of life. Do you know anyone with an established garden who could give you a bucket of compost? That might kick start the soil's microbiome. It only takes a little yeast to make the bread rise! Wink

Good guy

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that topic, you could try some stuff called Soil Renew. It is a 100% organic soil improver, basically, a preparation of the fungi and other micro-life that is vital to healthy soil. You can probably get it from Mr Middleton. It is pricey but very effecrive.
conoros

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

happy to report they are coming back Smile i left one unplanted in its container, now it is suffering badly, hoping to put it in a big planter pot with rocks in the base. hopefully all will be well .thanks for the advice Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: