Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Good Guy went to Keuchenhof Gardens, The Netherlands

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Most Recent Posts Small lawn advice please
Last post: Greengage
Whats this.
Last post: Silver surfer
Fastigiate tree with nuts
Korean fir

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less a hijack, more a hitch-hike!
I always envied the ease with which people in the south of England could get to the continent. It was really brought home to me one day when my grown-up son, who lived in London at that time, phoned to ask whether I was busy the next weekend. Turned out he had been let down by someone and had a paid-for first-class ticket to Paris via the Eurostar. Needless to say, I jumped at the chance.
Free champagne all the way and we met some MPs from Mexico who were travelling back to Paris. We had a lovely weekend together - it was my first visit to Paris but my son knew his way around there already.
Margo

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We always travelled by channel tunnel. Loved it as we was in France in half hour where it took 2 and half hours
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was offered a job as a section engineer on the chunnel. Great pay and bonuses but 3 weeks on 1 week off. Didn't fancy it as the kids were young at the time and I didn't want to be away from home. Plus there was NO way that I was working underground either.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Good guy

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have been outclassed anyway, Tagwex. It was tough men from Arranmore and Tory Islands that dug the tunnel - together with much of the rest of the UK's underground infrastructure. I have the privilege of knowing some of them.
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outclassed? Really.

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
Plus there was NO way that I was working underground either.
Ah, someone else who doesn't like being underground? I was watching some pot-holers exploring a cave system on NHK a few weeks back and had to turn it off - I was getting a panic attack just watching them! Rolling Eyes
Greengage

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potholing did a bit of that too, until a little scare then retired immediately. You should read the story of Dead Mans Handshake.
Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chunnel has done an excellent job of hoodwinking the public with their 35minute message but, if you've done the damned thing as often as I have, you begin to spot their ploys. They're intent on getting you to go via all the 'facilities' - and spending money in them - before you actually reach the train, and I once calculated that, to get a coachload of passengers from the UK to France was, on average, 15 minutes quicker by ferry. Customs/immigration far more relaxed. Very little waiting on the dockside. Everything you need is on the ferry as you cross and, if you're travelling on, the break on the boat recharges your batteries so that you can do another three or four hours the other side before needing a break.
Margo

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated the Chunnel workers got paid really well. My X son in law worked for them and the pay was superb. But a lot of problems came later when a lot of them moved into really expensive houses as they could afford the mortgage. Then when the tunnel was finished we had so many houses round our way being re-possessed because they couldn't keep up with the mortgage payments. So a housing association bought them all up and put the dregs in them. A beautiful housing estate ruined by constant raids for drugs etc.

On saying that I still prefer the tunnel to travel. We didn't have any problems getting through security or customs and drove straight on and off at the other end and driving to usually St Omar or surrounding area
Good guy

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting about the caving, Greengage. I did some of that too, in my 30s mainly. My sisters, who are a lot younger, got me and my ex into it. But we gave up, mainly due to not wanting to leave our young children with my parents. It was mostly the Marble Arch system I was in.
Then I went back for another go after the marriage break-up. My head must have been in a bit of a state because I had my one and only panic attack, in a cave I had been through before. Most unpleasant! But I went back into a different cave the next day, just to make sure I could. Since then I've been in a few show caves with no problem. I find them fascinating.
Greengage

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a lot in the Burren, No problems crawling through small openings or deep water but missed an exit once, very small side tunnel, thought we would never find our way out, lamps running low, Once I saw light I said that's it, Chris Bonnington once said the difference between adventure and death was knowing when to turn back. Pity Ueli Steck didn't listen to the great man. Watched some of his videos and he was playing close to the edge, Want to see another lad live the edge watch Alex Honnold, utube him on El capitan. Anyway back to Gardening next post. Off Fly fishing on Lough Conn the mayfly hatch is on and the fish are biting.
Greengage

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I told you I went fishing but all did not go well, my friend Micheal did not have a licence, so this is what happened when caught with some fish.
He is approached by an Inland Fisheries Officer who asks him for his fishing license.Michael replies to the officer, I wasnt fishing and I didnt catch these brown trout, they are pets. Every day I come down to the water and put these fish into the water and take them for a walk. When Im ready to go I whistle and they jump back into the bucket and we go home.

The officer didnt believe him and he reminded Michael that it is illegal to fish without a license. Micheal responded, If you dont believe me then watch, and he threw the trout back into the water.

The officer says, Now whistle to your fish and show me that they will jump out of the water and into the bucket.

Michael turns back to the officer and says, What fish?
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep a cigarette lighter at hand and when officer is seen burn the line. You have lost your tackle but by the letter of the law you are not fishing.

Good guy

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a very fishy story to me!
We have gone from the bulb fields of the Netherlands to the supermarkets of France, the Channel Tunnel and Ferries, limestone caves of Fermanagh and west Clare, to a lake in Connamara. Quite a journey for one thread! It would rival Jason's Golden Thread!
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I was outclassed apparently.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden visits All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: