Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices

Horse manure in bags?

Most Recent Posts Ploughing
Last post: Sue Deacon
Sticky: How can we improve the Irish gardeners forum?
Last post: tagwex
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: tagwex
Veg in Modules
Last post: Good guy

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Horse manure in bags? Reply with quote

My neighbour is looking after a sick pony. As a result, I have access to lots of fresh, unadulterated poo. I've added some to my compost heap, but have no spare space for a manure heap. If I kept it in thick plastic bags, open to the air, on the pallets in my shed, which will be free until the next wood cutting season (October onward) would there be any problems? I don't want to waste this black gold opportunity.
Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until you suggested leaving the bags open to the air, I must admit I'd have tied them up after putting a few worms in to help the decomposition process. At least they could then be kept outside instead of in the shed. Instinctively I've always imagined the moisture content of such nutrition contains its own minerals etc. and I'd have done what I could to keep it from drying out. Do you think it would be advisable to mix in some lawn mowings or other compost, if only to make it go further? See what the experts say?
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering as I don't actually know. Should those golden nuggets be in those bags that are black on the inside, same as the compost bags one buys?

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Good guy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about getting a bale or two of straw and filling heavy duty bags with a mix of fresh horse dung and damp straw? I'd tie the bags but poke a few holes with a fork, for ventilation. The result should be really good top-dressing material.
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with GG and get some straw to mix in with it. But I'd stack it outside on plastic (or concrete) with perhaps a loose cover of some kind. It needs to be not too wet or too dry. If by some freak of nature we have a dry summer it is quite possible it might spontaneously combust with dry straw or sawdust in the mix! It happened to a friend once - she kept her horses on sawdust and the heat generated in the muck heap set fire to the dry bits - it smoldered all summer. Shocked Mind you, she did have three horses and a pet cow, not one pony.

Just a thought (and perhaps I'm being a bit twitchy here) but you said the pony is sick? It's not on antibiotics is it? That might alter the rate of decomposition

tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horse meat burgers, same as Tesco were selling a few years back!

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: