Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Compost question

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts Garden Visits.
Last post: tagwex
Anyone any thoughts on using wind screen protection?
Last post: tagwex
organic feed / nettles
Last post: Blowin
Could somebody help ID these 2 plants please?
Last post: Bill2015

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Mange Tout, but there are dangers to trying to be too exact when manipulating Nature, for that's what horticulture does? 'Good' is one of the most abused words in the English language, and the value of horse manure from stables COULD reflect the quality of food the animals are fed in the first place, and have little to do with the type of bedding it's mixed with.

Enthusiasm CAN overtake practicality in leisure activity. Some like to turn their compost. I don't, but it's a brave person who tries to prove either is right?

mange tout
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure. We are what what we eat eats! My only experience of it is in terms of consistency - the horse manure I got was super fine. Person who gave it to me could not assure me that the wood chippings were organic though Sad . Still great to get it, put it down before covering the beds over the winter and it was just like I read when I pulled it up - like the worms had done the digging for me. Interested to see how stuff gets on in it this year.
Ado 2
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those bins. When its full I lift it. Fork it. Cover with an old carpet and start a new heap in another place. Every year I get a pile of compost that way. I compost toilet rolls, my bills, cardboard, egg shells, coffee grounds, coffee filters as well as my stalks and veg peelings. I cover with cardboard occasionally if there seems to be a lot of veg in it and dare I say it a bit of the old pee wee every now and then helps to break it down. It looks black and flies start appearing if too much nitrogen ie greens go in
Micks Garden

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blowin wrote:
Some like to turn their compost. I don't, but it's a brave person who tries to prove either is right?

You'r right Blowin , I'd say there's as many methods of making compost as there are composters, so long as it ends up in the garden rather then a tip head all will be right with the world.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: