Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

greenhouse heating help needed

Most Recent Posts woodland trust quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
Quiet times
Last post: tagwex
Warning of Stormy Weather, Ireland, 11/3/08 to 12/3/08.
Last post: Sue Deacon
Garden Bird Survey.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
TMAK
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: greenhouse heating help needed Reply with quote

Hi.
I'm looking for some advice /help in choosing a heat source for our greenhouse.

the greenhouse we have is a dig geodesic dome covered with polytunnel polythene. It has a diameter of 6 meters and is 3 meters high.

We are looking to utilise the area more during the year and use it as more of an indoor garden/ chill out area. A nice spot to have a glass or 2 of vino or a bottle of beer in he evenings. The only problem is it gets a bit chilly at nighttime. So we have decided to heat it. But there are a lot of options.
I don't think passive heating alone is enough to have a comfortable temperature. Seeing as we are heating it I plan to keep some tropicals out there to. so we are looking for ideas and pros and cons of supplemental heat.
Initially we were thinking of buying a wood burning stove but there would be a lot of work keeping the fires burning.
Out other options are gas or electric.
Does anybody know how much it would cost to run either. The gas heater would be run on cylinders.
I have priced a 4.2Kw gas heater online and it is pretty reasonable but I'm curious of the running costs before I commit to buying it. I'm not sure if I am aloud to post the brand on the forum.
Otherwise would anyone know roughly the cost of using electric.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by TMAK on Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are asking is very technical and the correct answer depends on a lot of variables. My best advice to you is to seek professional advice from a heating engineer. My gut feeling, without knowing any of the technical information, would be to opt for gas, something similar to those patio heaters.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Greengage

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gas could poison you inside as carbon monoxide builds up, any naked flame will melt the plastic, electric will cause condensation in plastic so you will get soaked and possibly electrocuted. My suggestion would be dig a very deep hole and use Geothermal heating energy, so you will have nice tropical plants, nice ambience to sit in and collect your own limes and lemons for the gin and tonic.
http://www.irishtimes.com/business/drilling-down-into-geothermal-heating-1.1919122
tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat pumps are about the same price as a small car.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
TMAK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the answers. Problem with the geothermal is that the water table is very high so I would end up digging a pond. While it's not a bad idea I have my better half on board with this plan and a giant pond might scupper that........ Unless i sold it as a Venice experience 😂
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second hand oil burner (One from people changing to condensing boilers) heating a couple of second hand radiators inside. No pollution to air inside then and you'll be nice and comfy.
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: