Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Lawn issues

Most Recent Posts Garden Visits.
Last post: tagwex
Anyone any thoughts on using wind screen protection?
Last post: tagwex
organic feed / nettles
Last post: Blowin
Could somebody help ID these 2 plants please?
Last post: Bill2015

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Keyoke
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Lawn issues Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I bought a new house 2years ago, moved in late in the summer, back garden was in bits, could see digger tracks etc going through it. Grass was patchy etc. Should really have gotten to work on it prior to now, but baby was born a couple of months into settling in to the house and we were more focussed on that aspect, rather than the garden.
I was told that the grass would naturally thicken up and looks decent as the garden gets sun pretty much from dawn till the evening. Having never had a garden before, I took that as truth. Nothing has changed.
First 4 or 5 foot, the grass is nice and thick and grows really quickly, middle 6 to 8 foot its very patchy and turns to marsh at the slightest rain and the last 6 foot or so is very shaded, damp and covered in moss. Iíve decided that itís high time to dig it up and start from scratch.
Iím assuming the waterlogging is down to the soil being heavily compacted, as it was a building site 2 years ago, prior to that it was an old racecourse that had been neglected for a number of years.
Do I need to just dig it up and turn the soil, reseed and keep it watered, or should I mix some sand through to assist with drainage? I am assuming that once the drainage issue is resolved that should be that, for the first 2/3rds of the garden. The shaded part might be an ongoing problem, thereís a very large tree on the far side of my garden wall which keeps a lot of the garden shaded in the evenings, I also have a garden shed up there too which isnít helping with light getting to a part of the garden.

Thanks in advance
Keyoke
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have serious soil compaction due to machinery driving over your site. I also wonder what else they have buried under there. What to do though. I would suggest a big machine and drainage but what you need is an air spade and a couple of strong guys or girls to work it as it is hard work just holding it and noisy but it is your only man, I was at a demo in Dublin last year and really impressed, now where you get one that is the question. As I know of one chap in Offaly Birr who hires it out, ill look on google and see.
http://www.hirecopt.ie/product/air-spade/
http://www.kaeser.ie/Products_and_Solutions/Tools___accessories/Industrial-spades-and-scrapers/default.asp
Utube it to see one in action too.
Keyoke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much. I had never heard of an air spade before.
I was planning on digging the garden up over the weekend,weather permitting.
Noticed this evening that I had a lot of sprouts of sycamore tree in the shaded area so I am hoping that the soil itself is rich enough to not need a huge amount of fertilizing and just needs aerating and draining suppliment.
Will shop around for air spade hire though
Thanks again
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAGH, sycamore seedlings. I don't think they are much of a sign of soil fertility - they'll grow in your lug! You want rid of those ASAP!
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Keyoke. Is your house on a new estate? This could be another Mel B like case.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Keyoke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,
Ah ones fooling myself with the seedlings haha
Yes, it's a new estate, I moved in almost 2 years ago but building is still ongoing.
What's the Mel B case?
Thanks
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about7199.html

Have a read through that. Very similar to your story methinks.

Keyoke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds quite similar to my situation alright. Neighbour on both sides of me had gardens done last year.
1 was landscaped and I noticed very little rubble etc while it was being done.
The other had that fake grass put down, again i saw very little in the way of rubble just a lot of soil removed to lay the gravel foundation under the fake grass.
I was sorely tempted to get it done myself but I think a proper garden might be nicer in the long run.
Will do searches for shade loving plants for thebshaded area at the shed and wall further down the line.
Was tidying things up yesterday evening and decided to dig down a little to see. Only went a couple of inches. Spil seemed thick and heavy and was quite dark in the front area that grows well. Still wet on the middle area though.
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just wouldn't know what could be buried there. Could have been a hollow in the ground that was filled up or just a dumping area for the builders and you were the unlucky one.

Keyoke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, based on how things usually work out for me there might well be a load of builders rubbish buried there. Will have a proper dig at the weekend and see what I, well, dig up.
Weather dependant, of course, can't really dig in a swamp
Keyoke

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update
So I dug the garden 2 weekends ago.
Went between 2 and 3 foot down to break things up, kept the topsoil separate and didn't bury it under the lower soils. Found 1 high vis jacket but no builder, and a few large rocks but not a hige amount of them. Took a full week for things to dry out fully so i cpuld rake and smooth it. Lashed rain this weekend so i expected tge garden to be a mud pool but it dried out fully by yesterday so I hope that the digging etc has helped.
Going to roll and seed it this weekend now.
Ado 2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work. Its going to help make a very good lawn with putting all that effort in
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: