Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

Hardly a weed in sight

Most Recent Posts Hello
Last post: Sue Deacon
What is this plant please
Last post: Sue Deacon
Amelanchier
Last post: Good guy
Prime Seaweed (Availability) Conditions?
Last post: Gautama

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
ROXANNE
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Hardly a weed in sight Reply with quote

Hi,
this ones really for those people who have problems gardening due to bending etc and need to enjoy looking at the garden and not weeds even in raised beds weeds thrive.

Ive enjoyed gardening for more years than i care to remember and ive made every mistake going " But now at 68 and over 40 years of gardening im still learning and still enjoying it,
As the years are ticking on i dont have as much energy as i once had and so if i can still have that WOW look with a little less back breaking work then that's a bonus,

WEEDS AND HOW TO DO FAR FAR LESS WEEDING;

Ive always believed in learning from the experts and a proven method,
No green finger stuff, if you hear of anyone who's got green fingers?
One of two things spring to mind

(1) that person needs to see a Doctor and quick
Or perhaps that person knows what he's talking about because he's experienced!

And i have learnt from one of the best on the subject of weed control.
Now im talking about "control" because no way on this earth will you stop weeds growing, its a natural thing for birds to drop weeds and for weeds to grow if the conditions are right;

Like humans weeds /plants need light/air/water and food plus heat.
If you take a walk through a forest or very thick woods you'll not see a lot of weeds growing at the foot of tree's WHY,

Because the trees stop the growth because the tree's drop leaves/pines etc and the landing area is at the bottom of the tree, this continued dropping causes a build up year after year and the weeds cant get control of that area

They cant get "LIGHT" through the depth of rotting leaves being dropped,
the only chance of weeds growing and for a short time 'until the next leaf fall is if the birds drop seed or the wind blows seed to that trees base,

If you build up a depth of 4 inch of compost over your flowers beds and keep it topped up (this continued topping up is due to earth worms using the compost to make humus and that is a very good thing in any garden,
but if you keep the 4inch topped to this depth you'll have very few weeds to deal with and once you've kept this 4inch going for a while you'll suddenly find the depth stays 4inch.

The information ref this weed control came from a DR SHEWELL COOPER'S book's he's the author of many gardening subjects and well respected for his work and well worth reading
Ive been using this method of weed control for years and it really works and saves a lot of weeding by hand or hoe Wink

Margo
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with that is if you have more than half and acre of garden you need a hell of a lot of compost
ROXANNE

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Margo,
Nice to talk to you,
Ive 2 acres of garden and thats even mor reason for trying to lower your work load?
Nobody said gardening was easy "hence" making some task less time worth,

Honestly Margo when your next trying to deal with the weather and its all going against you ie it just wont let you get out there and all the time those dreaded weeds are still growing anyway 'then and only then please ask youself will you loose the battle before winter arrives and then its time to call it a day ref outside work?

I would never say anything workks if it didnt?
Why not try this,
just do one little part of your own garden ? 4inch,
Just a very small plot and after the summer has finished have a look and come back and tell me if it worked or not?

If you do a small part and it works is that not less for you to do?
Who said every little bit counts and then they pat their backsides?

Go on Margo its well worth a couple of bags of cheap compost. 4inch ?
Wink

Margo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ROXANNE"]Hi Margo,
Nice to talk to you,
Nobody said gardening was easy "hence" making some task less time worth,

Honestly Margo when your next trying to deal with the weather and its all going against you ie it just wont let you get out there and all the time those dreaded weeds are still growing anyway 'then and only then please ask youself will you loose the battle before winter arrives and then its time to call it a day ref outside work?

I would never say anything workks if it didnt?
Why not try this,
just do one little part of your own garden ? 4inch,
Just a very small plot and after the summer has finished have a look and come back and tell me if it worked or not?

If you do a small part and it works is that not less for you to do?
Who said every little bit counts and then they pat their backsides?
quote]

Sorry Roxanne but I find your post quite patronising. If your severely disabled as I am, your comments are easier said than done.
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is he supposed to know Margo? Only passing on advice that works for him and sharing the knowledge for others to experiment with. If it doesn't suit your garden/capabilities then don't use it.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
ROXANNE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: MARGO Reply with quote

Hi Margo,
What ive said was to help, if you have a way to keep the weeds at bay for longer and you are disabled then i thought this would be of help to you,

I would'nt patronise anyone,
You did say you had half an acre to garden this is a lot for a disabled person perhaps if you had a friend to tip a few bags in a small area you'd see just how the weeds slow down and its you and your eyes that get the pleasure of seeing a weeds free plot,
Again in this weed free space you could plant wild geraniums these will aslo keep the weeds in check as they spread out wide and they die down to ground level through the winter and return in the spring, just devide the roots each year and you'll increase your stock every year and have flowers through the summer as an added bonus the bee's love them.
Hope this makes you feel a little better and im sorry if ive said the wrong thing but i didnt know you had any disabled problems.

Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out with my 'weed wand' mini flame thrower the other evening - a great way of dealing with weed seedlings without needing to bend.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I'm not convinced by them. I've used them on gravel drives and found them fairly ineffective. I was using it properly (giving the weeds a quick blast, then waiting for them to wilt, then hitting them again), but I still had to go over the whole area by hand. I reckon it actually got rid of no more than 20% of the weeds.
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with tipben. I got one of those wands - took me AGES to weed a small area and the weeds were back within a week. Sad
Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it best used on seedling weeds. They are easier to kill - and of coures its not much good for anything with a tap root.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: