Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Crab apple advice?

Most Recent Posts Veg in Modules
Last post: Micks Garden
Sticky: How can we improve the Irish gardeners forum?
Last post: kindredspirit
Plant Id
Last post: Greengage
aquatic invasive or not?
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Crab apple advice? Reply with quote

In the photo of my malus Golden Hornet - planted as a young tree circa 1990 - you will notice a lot of young, vertical shoots which are spoiling its shape. These only developed last year and I'm wondering why? If I prune them out will that make matters worse?
Also, if you look carefully at the trunk you will see cracks in the bark, some of them quite big fissures. Is this canker, or what? Has this tree reached the end of its useful life?

IMG_3668.JPG
 Description:
Problem crab apple
 Filesize:  514.95 KB
 Viewed:  1224 Time(s)

IMG_3668.JPG

ROXANNE
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Crap apple help Reply with quote

H i good guy,
Now your not living up to your name "Good Guy" when it comes to this crap apple,

You've got the complete heart of the tree all over the place ie branches crossing branches and this is now ,
By the time fruit appears you'll not get much light or a good circulation of air in the centre (heart) of this tree and the shear weight of fruit will not do the branches any good plus to add injury to all this, your fruit will be small as your asking this tree to produce much and then wondering why its cracking etc,
I can't see the base of the tree but i bet you've not put any feed around this area?
If after you've got rid of all this not needed wood you could spray the tree with a fruit tree wash this will kill any eggs that are hatching, all this should have been finished by the end of febuary, but your tree needs tobe pruned and washed (sprayed) and fed.

Nows the very latest time (if you get on with it NOW) to prune away all those branches from the inside of the tree that are crossing each other and just keep the ones facing outwards Plus any dead wood you come across,

clear the area of all grass etc from about 4 feet of the base and cover this area with manure or a good quality compost and dig it in
and water it a few times aweek to get all the goodness of the manure under ground this is the root feeding area, its the animals urination that comes out of the manure that is the good side of manure "hence water water & water it in again to get some feed to these roots and keep the weeds from growing as these are now taking your tree's food.

For a really good long on going feed get the pellets called "GUARNO" this is actualy compressed bird droppings and is one of the best long term feeds "but read the instructions ref how much to use as you only need a little.
If you do what ive said you'll see one hell of a difference in the size and taste of the fruit and have a tree worth looking at Wink

tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back GG, it's been a while!!! I thought that you and Geranimojess had eloped.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Good guy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, TW. Nah, just been busy, had a quick look at the forum a few times but not much going on here so didn't log on.
Good guy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. There's no question of taking a crop from this tree. The fruit is too small and hasn't enough flesh. I tried making a chutney once but it wasn't worth the bother. I grow it for blossom and the attractive yellow fruit, which the birds like too. And I don't use any chemical sprays anywhere in the garden these days. I use pelleted chicken manure annually.
I'm wondering what brought on the sudden profusion of the vertical shoots and also whether the fissures in the bark are a symptom of some serious disorder.
ROXANNE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: YOUr tree is returning to nature Reply with quote

Hi GOOD GUY?
Nice to hear from you,
Firstly your tree has to much wood and is on its way to returning to mother nature
Going wild,
You can still save it and the fruit will be bigger if you have less wood on it and air & light getting to the centre of the tree,

Just a quick one ref chemicles,
Ive heard many people say they wouldnt use them but sometimes they are the better way if used correctly to sort what can be a killer in the garden?

IE Trying to clear a plot for future growing will take 6 month if every weed is removed and when it comes to those weeds that have tap root system they are very hard to get out without breaking the root and if this happens then the weed will only grow again and if you plant anything and that weed grows through your newly planted plants roots ????? Your back to stage one except your nice newly planted plant is suffering thanks to the no use of a chemicle that could have been used to soak down through the weeds leaf system and on to its roots to kill it completely.?

Now this sort of chemicle use is done on a very rare usage,
Dont you think its worth it. Wink

Nice talking to you (the footballs on tonight Smile )

tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really see the split bark areas clearly enough to diagnose the problem (if any), but the verticals look like "water shoots". These are a stress response, usually to hard pruning, but can occur due to root disturbance (physical damage/compaction). They definitely need removal, but you have left it very late! Have you done any pruning, or was there any branch damage from weather before they appeared?
ROXANNE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tippben,
Just a point ref water shoots,
They can appear year after year, they are a weather reaction,
Ive an orchard of verious apple (some very rare) but its the more the cooking apple that have these water roots offten
,But water shoots dont have any buds on the wood
the wood we can see has buds on them and if so these will be more fruit and more feed needed by the underground root system to feed all the unwanted extra fruit.

I do hope this tree gets pruned this week and then he can tell us all what the tree is like next year
Wink

Greengage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These look like short spurs which are stocky shoots with shortened internodes, which is the space between two nodes; Nodes are the part of a stem where leaves, and sometimes flowers, are attached. They form on shoots that are two years of age or older and can be branched or un-branched. Both flowers and fruit can form on spurs. If spurs are trimmed or clipped, the shoots produce long stems that do not bear fruit. Spurs will die if they do not receive adequate sunlight and oxygen, so pruning to thin is necessary to prevent dense growth. Buds that develop on spurs are at the fruiting stage, and if too many buds appear it can crowd fruit. Crowded fruit does not have room to grow properly, so use your fingers to pull off extra buds, leaving only a few behind.
If it was mine I would thin them out now along with crossing branches, I cannot see the cracks in the stem but this could be more serious, It is a bit young to have outlived it life unless it is under severe stress.
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my (ancient) apple trees throws wobblies like that. I'd prune out those smaller, vertical branches, right back to where they appear. Might be a bit late this year, but worth a shot with one small one. If it 'bleeds' then leave the rest until late summer or next winter.

I wanted to have some of our birch trees pruned but it's too late now. Some trees are worse than others. If you cut some (like birch) at this time of year they bleed like you have hit an artery, others aren't too bad.

More worrying are the cracks. I can't see them, but it might be canker. The same tree that throws out those vertical shoots is a martyr to canker and isn't long for this world - but it is over 50 years old and is still the best producing tree I have - quantity-wise if not quality.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: