Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Water features in Ireland, including all aspects of water gardening.

Small Pond Advice

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
crosstownk
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Small Pond Advice Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm planning to build a small pond (about 2m x 3m) in the garden. Sadly I don't have the room for behemoth like David is building in the other post.

I'm not planning on any pumps or fish as I want a wildlife pond. I'm going to embark on this over the next few weeks and so far all I've done is bought the liner. I'm putting it where there is an existing flower bed so I've got to transplant all the plants and flowers first.

Now I've done a bit of research into this pond building caper, but I'd like to hear from anyone who has built a similar pond and any advice on things to do/avoid would be greatly appreciated.

My garden is a relatively small suburban garden but I'm surrounded by a lot of open spaces. I'm not one for a 'prim an proper' garden, I like a bit of mess and like to let the hedges and shrubs grow wild to a certain extent. I would like the wildlife pond to be in keeping with this.

Thanks in advance.

JennyS
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: re: Post subject: Small Pond Advice Reply with quote

Hi crosstownk
I put a couple of ponds into my garden a few years ago, but not using pond liner - 'cos I couldn't afford it .There was a whole roll of heavy plastic lying around so I used that for the first pond, and then built up the inside with concrete and stones so it would look natural.... The second pond was digger-dug, and luckily didn't need lining.
If you're hoping to attract wildlife you could do with planning to extend the liner out around the edges of the pond to create a boggy margin area, this wil help soften the edges and give a more natural look, and also provide shelter and access for frogs etc. When you reach the pond filling stage get some pond or stream water to add, and some mud as well, as this will contain loads of micro-organisms that will multiply rapidly to provide food sources for various pond creatures.
I've just put the start of a bit about my garden (definitely wild round the edges) up, hanging off the wildflower site at the moment, and I'll find some pond-creating photos to add to it :
www.irishwildflowers.ie/garden/garden.html
Enjoy your pond building!

Rockworld
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tip about the mud from JennyS , make sure you get it from a healty pond.
If your not planning any pumps or fish make sure that the pond is well planted. Ideally you should cover upto half the surface are in plants if you want to keep the pond healthy.
At the stage of digging you should allow for electricity even you dont plan on pumps/lights now you may want or need them in the future.
loostep

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Crosstownk
How did the pond turn out?
I've dug a hole, i'm just going to get the liner today was wondering what type of plants did you plant around it? and what did you plant in it?
Thanks
Loostep.
vulkan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi loostep, you are supposed to use aquatic soil for plants in a pond, anything else will have unwanted nutriants in it.

crosstownk stopped posting over 2 years ago, he asked the question on Thu May 10, 2007 and never replied back then. Still, fingers crossed.
loostep

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, just had another look at the date doh!

Thanks for replying Vulkan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Water features in Ireland, including all aspects of water gardening. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: