Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Do you read me!!!!!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
Ancient human remains found of the first politician
Last post: marlin vs
Who's growing what ???
Last post: Sneachta
Gardening Books
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
ROXANNE
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Do you read me!!!!! Reply with quote

Hi folks,
It's one of those rainy days again "that sort of rain thats like a mist but really soaks through everything in no time So no chance of doing what should be done outside

And ive done the greenhouse bit for today and early on this morning i did the regular inspection of the garden to see what mother nature pushed up or allowed to burst into bloom, daffs and crocus all popping up,

So i thought i'd give some time to talk to those who are thinking of starting gardening as a hobby and explain just how big a subject it can be
Ie nature comes into gardening very much so "weather" seasons, the animal side of nature birds/ rabbits, creatures such as moles /mice Insects good and bad ones knowing who's the good insect (lady bird) & who's the bad (green & white fly etc etc)
How to deal with a virgin garden Oh yes you'll see such words as virgin/x used in gardening terms and these words all have a place in the gardening world and in the older books are used to explain terms and ways of dealing with your soil (more about these much later on)

I'd like to start by saying we all

"both the more experienced and the novice"
gardeners have the same weather conditions at the same times to deal with

So in a day such as im having today "all day rain" its better to have indoor work to do rather than anything out doors,

like what i hear you say!!
" Reading"
Its all very well to ask questions on forums such as this one but to have the written subject by the experts at your finger tips for you to look up anytime night or day!!!
(a lot of us have a gardening book by the bed pre sleep)

Now im going to pass on a very good bit of know how ref any gardeing books

( The best books to buy and the best places to buy them)

most of the newly issued books are very thin approx A4 size pages and a lot of these books start of and end with pictures of the person who's the expert
Ie ALLAN TITCHMARSH comes to mind and then what i call further insult to the buyer you'll offten see half a dozen A4 size pictures of the likes of a cabbage or a lettuce !!!!!!!!!!
you'll get some advice ref sowing/planting etc but for the price your asked to pay and the fact that more than likely this book is by one expert
I know your not getting the best deal or enough advice on a lot of subjects.

THE BETTER BOOKS AND A LOT LOT LOT CHEAPER/

The likes of the animal rescue centre shops/redcross/ cancer research shops and jumble sales are a much better place to buy such books,

Let me explain,
ive a huge collection of books and most have come from such places as ive listed and the advantage of these books from such places are that proberly the owner who once owned these books has now taken to gardening in heaven
And the book have been donated to the shops ive listed,
But a lot of these older

(but many are very newly issued books)

when first published came with more than one writer and more than one experts giving his/her experience on the subject they've given time to write about,
And years ago you had to know your subject before you'd get anything in print,

These rescue places sell these book at a very much reduced price,
Infact ive one sitting here next to me called

THE GARDEN for expert and amateur

its three inches thick "hard backed 1237 pages and at least 38 experts have taken part in supplying info for the subject they have given advice on.
This book was first published in 1934 And i purchased this book on the 18 sept 1999 from the animal rescue shop in chester (uk) at the cost of £3.00

I still use this book today along with many more second hand books on all subjects of gardening and all a very good buy and all published by people who know the subjects they've written about.

So when the winds blowing and the rains pouring down for me a blazing fire a nice drink of what ever is you poison and one of the books to look up or even learn about my next garden project is what i call a perfect way to enjoy the hobby of gardening And the money spent buying second hand books from such places all helps to do only good.
:
Good gardening to you all.
Wink

kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I'm in the UK, I buy all my garden books in Sobell House for 50p each.

I've ones that appear to be never read and some have new prices of £45 and £30 on them. Most have the new prices removed, though as they were probably presents to the now deceased.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only 'personality' books I ever bought were by the sainted Geoff Hamilton. Always down to earth and chock full of useful info. Get onto Amazon and get them second hand for pennies!

The two reference books I use the most are the RHS Gardener's Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers and The Hillier Gardener's Guide to Trees and Shrubs - both well-thumbed. Very Happy

ROXANNE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kindredspirit wrote:
When I'm in the UK, I buy all my garden books in Sobell House for 50p each.

I've ones that appear to be never read and some have new prices of £45 and £30 on them. Most have the new prices removed, though as they were probably presents to the now deceased.

Hello kindredspirit,
Nice to talk to you, Im glad to hear like me you buy books that are worth buying,
A lot of people dont know it but its a fact the red cross spent some of the earnings got buy the shops and stock they sell by getting going a scheme that tested old seeds in a lab of seeds from offten of plants that have been lost and forgotten,
A lot of these seeds became alive again and those forgotten foods once again are now back feeding the people that need feeding plus to send seed via transport is a better and cheaper way than food that can rot.

The idea being that its a better idea to send seeds to some of the countries in the world that need to grow their own food rather than chance sending food to these countries that may end up in the hands of those it was not intended for,

Im sure you've heard the saying ref give a man a rod and hook and you've just made a fisherman and he'll catch his own supper (or something like that.

This idea alone of how by buying from outlets that deal in helping those that really need help be it animals or human is enough reason for me to buy from such outlets plus as you've said a lot of the books were bought for or by people who wanted the best books they could afford.
Nice to talk to you Wink

ROXANNE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue Deacon wrote:
The only 'personality' books I ever bought were by the sainted Geoff Hamilton. Always down to earth and chock full of useful info. Get onto Amazon and get them second hand for pennies!

The two reference books I use the most are the RHS Gardener's Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers and The Hillier Gardener's Guide to Trees and Shrubs - both well-thumbed. Very Happy

Hi Sue geoff hamilton was one of my favourit gardeners and i did meet him once by accident at the grovenor garden centre near chester,

He asked me for directions to the garden centre as he was giving a talk ref gardening,
We had a good laugh when i said turn left at the weed beds
and continue past the sign that said "if your dog leaves it you take it away with you,
He came up to me after he'd given his chat and we had a good chat about life more than gardening, a really nice down to earth man, (ive got his book ref how he got into gardening "but this book came out after his death.

Im not very keen on the gardeners world team these days,
What about you do you think its as good as in the past?

Margo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ROXANNE"]
Sue Deacon wrote:

I'm not keen on Gardeners World at all. Monty Don is OK until he starts cooking and other things that could be shown like gardening in the half hour of the programme.
I'm going back a long time now but I loved Percy Thrower. It was simple down to earth gardening. Same as I loved Bob Flowerdew who you hardly hear of nowadays.
Chelsea Flower Show is the same as I think its just a hype for gardeners to sit and discuss it, but not actually see ALL the gardens and flowers. They also have a gardener who is showing a garden and 9 times out of 10 get a silver or Gold, which I find very suspect.
I've completely gone off Alan Titchmarsh, as since painting everything blue and his shows and books really has strayed from gardening, but usually compares Chelsea
tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me a fish and you feed me for a day, teach me how to fish and you feed me for life.

I have a Geoff Hamilton signed book.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm alone in liking Gardener's World, but that's OK. It would be a dull world if we all liked the same things. Though I do agree cooking has no part in a gardening programme (and I love cooking).

Funny thing is I bought Monty and Sarah Don's 'Home Cookbook' from the Works for £5.00 (RRP £25.00!) It's one of the most used books I have. It's all old favourites made with stuff straight out the garden - no kumquats and quails eggs there! Laughing

My sister met Monty Don at the NEC. She had just bought one of his books and took the opportunity to ask for his autograph. She said he was charming and my, normally very level-headed, sister went all giggly and 'girly' and felt (in her words) 'an utter txxt' afterwards.

Alan Titchmarsh should have stuck to gardening. As for painting everything blue - I can't say anything, I'm planning to paint my new shed Forget-me-not Blue in memory of an elderly, gardening friend.

BTW, the way Monsanto is buying up seed companies, I think we should be doing more with our old seeds, not just throwing them away. Monsanto would have you believe they are out to feed the starving world. But third world farmers have to BUY seed from them every year (Monsanto owns the patent) and not save seed from one year for the next as they have always done.

tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been down this road before Roxanne. Didn't get many answers though!

http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about7095.html

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Greengage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the big bad Bogey man rises its head again.
http://modernfarmer.com/2014/03/monsantos-good-bad-pr-problem/
How come henry ford or Ryan air are not in the same league.
I met a couple of environmentalists the other day wanting to plant whips and save the world, they were just back from China involved in some project to save the bees and trees delighted with themselves.
When I asked ho they got there, Stupid me By plane of course ( No carbon footprint they exchanged it with some other third world country who dont use all their air miles)and how they traveled around By car of course silly me, Stayed in hotels and offered their wisdom on saving the planet. Brilliant gobshites oh and the whips were dead all bare rooted never saw water in two weeks and then they wanted to place glowing pipe cleaners around the whips so people would know they were there. For lunch they had sesame seed bread with organic chocholate how many air miles there and imported bottled water. After the lecture on how i should lead my life and help the enviorment they set of on their bikes to educate the local childern in the schools, HEEEEEELLPPP............
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What have a bunch of tofu- eating bobble-hats got to do with Monsanto? If a company of that size can't get it's PR in order, what does it tell you about them?

Seeds of truth? - http://vandanashiva.com/?p=105

kindredspirit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"tofu- eating bobble-hats"

Brilliant, Sue.

Smile Smile Smile

Greengage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I got carried away with the rant, they were anti Monsanto too.
Who have made a partnership and equity investment with Sapphire,
Sapphire’s main research is in what it calls “green crude,” or an algae-based liquid that can be turned into diesel, gas, and jet fuel. So the big bad bogey man flew the tofu eating bobleheads to China with the help of daddys money so there is the picture coming together for you. Laughing
ROXANNE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Margo"][quote="ROXANNE"]
Sue Deacon wrote:

I'm not keen on Gardeners World at all. Monty Don is OK until he starts cooking and other things that could be shown like gardening in the half hour of the programme.
I'm going back a long time now but I loved Percy Thrower. It was simple down to earth gardening. Same as I loved Bob Flowerdew who you hardly hear of nowadays.
Chelsea Flower Show is the same as I think its just a hype for gardeners to sit and discuss it, but not actually see ALL the gardens and flowers. They also have a gardener who is showing a garden and 9 times out of 10 get a silver or Gold, which I find very suspect.
I've completely gone off Alan Titchmarsh, as since painting everything blue and his shows and books really has strayed from gardening, but usually compares Chelsea[/quote
Hi Margo
Thanks for your reply, I agree with you ref gardeners world, i feel its lost all the interest it once had and its all due to the so called expert Monty and Allan titchmarsh's way of dealing with it,
Allan titchmarsh did leave school and did serve his time via the local parks and gardens dept in his home town,
Now anyone serving their time to try and become a gardener will tell you its not a well paid job and you work in all weathers,
Once you have past your exam's then and only then can you call yourself a pro/gardener and these fully trained people are the ones who should get all and any good job offers that are to do with the trade they've trained for,

When Allan titchmarsh decided to leave gardeners world he was asked via the producer who he thought should take over his possition on GARDENERS WORLD, he said MONTY, having met him at a dinner party,(all these facts in ALLAN TITCHMARCH BOOK)

Mr Titchmarch gave no thought to those who had served the time and got the qualifications for the trade of gardener, those who'd spent years on poor pay and worked in all weathers to gain this qualification!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No he said Monty.
Now Monty is not a gardener and he has no qualification that says he is "but he did manage to run a jewlers shop that went bust and he did pick grapes in his gap year here in France
but he didnt work for low pay or in all weathers to get the correct exams under his belt.
Ive watched Monty when he first started doing gardeners world "when he first came on with his children running all over the place his dog for the company (or was it to win the granny brigade viewers)
and a box hedge in the background that was bleatched to death,

This sort of bad casting has lasted a long time but im sure lots of gardeners had more respect for the likes of Percy thrower who wouldnt abide wasters or be made a fool of,
Gardeners world now is really a repeat of TOP GEAR,
it will never be the same again.
The format is very old hat we never hear any comments ref machines we all use, ie the strimmers;lawn mower winter care (what to do with the laid up mower over winter) no remarks or help on whats the good tools to buy or any viewer remarks on any subject,
And lets face it a lot of seasoned gardeners have more know how than Monty will ever have and tips they can pass on are worth knowing about,

We all know what kids look like and dogs and now thanks to Monty
(if you look for it) a bleached dead box hedge.
Like you Margo give me the old school of gardeners who we all understand. Wink

kindredspirit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best gardening programme is Beechgrove by a country mile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: