Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Do you read me!!!!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Most Recent Posts Quiet times
Last post: Sue Deacon
woodland trust quizz.
Warning of Stormy Weather, Ireland, 11/3/08 to 12/3/08.
Garden Bird Survey.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
ROXANNE
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue Deacon wrote:
I think I'm alone in liking Gardener's World, but that's OK. It would be a dull world if we all liked the same things. Though I do agree cooking has no part in a gardening programme (and I love cooking).

Funny thing is I bought Monty and Sarah Don's 'Home Cookbook' from the Works for 5.00 (RRP 25.00!) It's one of the most used books I have. It's all old favourites made with stuff straight out the garden - no kumquats and quails eggs there! Laughing

My sister met Monty Don at the NEC. She had just bought one of his books and took the opportunity to ask for his autograph. She said he was charming and my, normally very level-headed, sister went all giggly and 'girly' and felt (in her words) 'an utter txxt' afterwards.

Alan Titchmarsh should have stuck to gardening. As for painting everything blue - I can't say anything, I'm planning to paint my new shed Forget-me-not Blue in memory of an elderly, gardening friend.

BTW, the way Monsanto is buying up seed companies, I think we should be doing more with our old seeds, not just throwing them away. Monsanto would have you believe they are out to feed the starving world. But third world farmers have to BUY seed from them every year (Monsanto owns the patent) and not save seed from one year for the next as they have always done.

Hi Sue,
Great thread really enjoyed it ,
Talking about cooking books and gardening books have you ever tried MRS BEETONS GARDENING MANAGEMENT
And THE VICTORIAN KITCHEN GARDEN

The first one is a very old book thats been re-printed today and really is a worth while read, it not only tells you all the old ways garden we're cared for and all sorts of common flowers etc that we're once used to cook with, etc

The second book was a tv spy on the wall ref victorian gardening by HARRY DOBSON if you could see his photo you'd proberly remember him from the tv documentry.
Again its all about the ways gardening was done and again a good read with plenty of the old ways that can and are still used today
Both these books are on amazon's book list if you want to see them.

The weather here today has been great (dry and warm) it really gives you that good tobe outside feeling.
ive been sorting out an old dogwood tree and fighting the dreaded brambles
"God some of them really do get thick".

Well lets hope its a turning point and spring is a hot one.

ROXANNE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kindredspirit wrote:
The best gardening programme is Beechgrove by a country mile.

Ive not seen this one Is it on sky?

Margo
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROXANNE wrote:
[Allan titchmarsh did leave school and did serve his time via the local parks and gardens dept in his home town,
Now anyone serving their time to try and become a gardener will tell you its not a well paid job and you work in all weathers,
Once you have past your exam's then and only then can you call yourself a pro/gardener and these fully trained people are the ones who should get all and any good job offers that are to do with the trade they've trained for,:

With respect Alan Titchmarsh is a qualified gardener but I still don't like him

In 1964, after leaving school at 15, Titchmarsh went to work as an apprentice gardener with Ilkley Council, before leaving in 1968, at 18, for Shipley Art and Technology Institute in Shipley to study for a City and Guilds in horticulture. Titchmarsh was a close family friend of Tom Kerridge, who went on to become his gardening advisor on shows such as Ground Force.

Titchmarsh went on to study at Hertfordshire College of Agriculture and Horticulture for the National Certificate in Horticulture, before finally moving to the renowned Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew to study for a Diploma in Horticulture.[6][7] After graduating, he stayed on at Kew, being employed as a supervisor and latterly a staff trainer, leaving to pursue a career in gardening journalism in 1974
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts on GW are well documeted here. Watched it for years, including Titchmarshs time. Watched Monty for a year or two, gave up and never watched one episode since. Tell a lie. When Monty had a stroke he was out for a year or two I started watching it again. But that presenter didn't do anything for me either so I gave up altogether.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Harry Dodsons book. One of the ones I look at more than any other. It is soooo practical.

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got that book too! Very Happy

T. - I remember that chap (Toby Buckland?) I'll never forget on episode when he was banging on about Global warming and 'increasingly warm, dry summers'. He was showing us how to plant up a Mediterranean garden for drought-loving plants. It was pxxxxxg down and the rain was running in a stream off his hat! I cried with laughter.

Margo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue Deacon wrote:
. He was showing us how to plant up a Mediterranean garden for drought-loving plants. It was pxxxxxg down and the rain was running in a stream off his hat! I cried with laughter.

Another thing that amuses me is if they start with a blank canvas so to speak when they make a new garden for example a disabled persons garden. They tend to put a lot of annuals in instead of perennials. Loads of paving slabs, bark and annuals and they call that low maintenance.
Ado 2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Bob Flowerdews Organic Gardening....and I love tofu too.
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROXANNE wrote:
kindredspirit wrote:
The best gardening programme is Beechgrove by a country mile.

Ive not seen this one Is it on sky?

It's not on Sky as far as I know.

You haven't lived if you haven't seen Beechgrove. Based in Scootland. I think you can get back episodes on YouTube.

Just checked and here you go.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=beechgrove+garden+2016

That'll keep you quiet for a while. Smile Smile

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ado 2 wrote:
I have Bob Flowerdews Organic Gardening....and I love tofu too.

Is that his 'Organic Bible' - got that too! Very Happy I like the idea of tofu as I love Japanese food. But the couple of times I have tried it, it tasted of bxxxxr all. Confused

I have a great interest in the history of gardening. Three favourite books on that subject are 'Small Traditional Gardens' by Roy Strong, 'Brother Cadfael's Herb Garden' (Talbot and Whiteman) and 'The Origins of Garden Plants' (John Fisher)

tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My books are listed here. Not sure if that is all of them though.
http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about7095.html

Ado 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have The RHS Plants for Places. I get the Irish Garden Magazine plus I have most of The Dr. D.G Hessayon Expert series. Prob all of them I got in Charity shops. I also have The new RHS Gardeners Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers and other books on perennials too. Sue marinate it in soya sauce and grated ginger. Tempeh too. Delicious
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once picked up a copy of 'Fred Loads Gardening Tips of a Lifetime' from a PDSA shop for 50p. I must have another read of that.

Thanks for that Ado, I might try that again.

Margo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone remember Mr Digwells gardening It so old but all the lovely methods of gardening and not all stone and wood with a water feature. Proper gardening I call it. and no snobbery.
ROXANNE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margo wrote:
ROXANNE wrote:
[Allan titchmarsh did leave school and did serve his time via the local parks and gardens dept in his home town,
Now anyone serving their time to try and become a gardener will tell you its not a well paid job and you work in all weathers,
Once you have past your exam's then and only then can you call yourself a pro/gardener and these fully trained people are the ones who should get all and any good job offers that are to do with the trade they've trained for,:

With respect Alan Titchmarsh is a qualified gardener but I still don't like him

In 1964, after leaving school at 15, Titchmarsh went to work as an apprentice gardener with Ilkley Council, before leaving in 1968, at 18, for Shipley Art and Technology Institute in Shipley to study for a City and Guilds in horticulture. Titchmarsh was a close family friend of Tom Kerridge, who went on to become his gardening advisor on shows such as Ground Force.

Hi margo
He also spent time involved with Percy thrower's garden centre.
But he still didnt do anything for the time served gardener's when it came to informing the G.W producer of his replacement did he?

Titchmarsh went on to study at Hertfordshire College of Agriculture and Horticulture for the National Certificate in Horticulture, before finally moving to the renowned Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew to study for a Diploma in Horticulture.[6][7] After graduating, he stayed on at Kew, being employed as a supervisor and latterly a staff trainer, leaving to pursue a career in gardening journalism in 1974

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: