Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hello

Most Recent Posts Hello
Last post: Sue Deacon
What is this plant please
Last post: Sue Deacon
Amelanchier
Last post: Good guy
Prime Seaweed (Availability) Conditions?
Last post: Gautama

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
ROXANNE
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

I just thought i'd say hello as ive just joined the forum,
I now live in france "but" we are both of good irish stock,

Ive been reading the verious questions etc on the forum for ages and as ive been gardening for over 40 plus years now i feel i may be able to help with one or two of the problems some of the younger gardeners are having,

Plus im sure one or two of the older more experience gardeners may want to know what gardening is like here in the countryside of france,

One of the main reasons we came to live here is because we can have a bigger garden than we had pre moving here as land in the countryside is cheap.

As you may have thought my hobby is the garden and country living / animals and peace perfect peace.

We really do live deep in the countryside and dont see a lot of people unless we go to the nearest village,

So as im sure you'll understand its a very quiet life style "not to everyones liking but it is to our's.

Well i hope to make friends and as any gardener will say "your always learning with a hobby such as gardening "

Once again thanks for having me as a member Laughing
Roxanne.

kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonsoir et bienvenue, Roxanne.
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
ROXANNE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kindredspirit wrote:
Bonsoir et bienvenue, Roxanne.

Thank you for that french welcome (you'll be sending kisses next Laughing )

It was the one thing i did find hard to understand when we first came here

men kissing men, But now it 's just the norm.

A nice welcome in any language is more than welcome,

Thank you once again.

Greengage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What part of France you living in, I would love to retire there. Welcome were low in numbers here at the moment.
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roxanne and welcome. I know what you mean about the country. I'm originally from Stoke-on-Trent - there are more than twice as many people living there as in the whole of Fermanagh! I just love it here and would never want to go back.

What do you grow, and what is your style of gardening? Some photo's would be nice. Smile

ROXANNE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
What part of France you living in, I would love to retire there. Welcome were low in numbers here at the moment.

Hi Greengage and thank you for the warm welcome,
We're in dept 23 Limousin very near the village called Aigurande, Approx 200 miles from Paris way out in the countryside, not much industry here hence a lot of older folk "retired or farmers" the air is fresh and clean.

If you like peace perfect peace "no Litter" very little crime and a guarantee you'll get a summer , with house prices good, then this is the place to be
But you'll drive a 18km drive to get to the hustle bustle of big shops etc,

If i see more than two cars a day (one being the post lady & two my nearest nieghbour plus about three tractors near to my home then its a busy day traffic wise,

So be warned, traffic on the main road is very very few cars but the french do drive fast.

Hope this has given you some idea of life here. Very Happy

ROXANNE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue Deacon wrote:
Hi Roxanne and welcome. I know what you mean about the country. I'm originally from Stoke-on-Trent - there are more than twice as many people living there as in the whole of Fermanagh! I just love it here and would never want to go back.

What do you grow, and what is your style of gardening? Some photo's would be nice. Smile

Hi Sue,
Again thanks for your welcome.
When we lived in the uk we lived in north wales for a time and i drove all over the uk "so stoke on trent i know,

Like you we love the countryside, my wife came not that far away from you, ie Antrim, she was schooled in the village of Antrim and her Dad still lives in Muck-a-more estate having been born in Kells,
So its a small world really.

Ref gardening style!!!
Just about all, ive a 2 acre's plus a field a few minutes walk away from the house,
So fruit trees, veg plot, and the green house, plus bedding plants and during the summer every window top & bottom windows have the french custom window box's plus all kinds of urns & containers,
Infact ive just painted a second old wagon wheel to house even more geranium 's in frames;
The boss likes the place to be full of bloom all summer "hence" the greenhouse and early sowings of anything that'll flower.

Ive plans to turn the field into an allotement and an escape for me and my oldest dog (we've 3 rescued)
All that will be sorted out sooner rather than later Rolling Eyes

What about your self, is it all veg gardening or more flowers?

I know the weather in northern ireland can be wet and that can hold things up a bit.

Well its past my bed time and as one of my favourit songs is now playing on the irish all day pub radio (someone to love me. The Dubliners I'll say good night and good gardening to you Sue Wink

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, a guaranteed Summer, now I AM jealous! Laughing

Like you, we are far enough from town for some peace and quiet, but close enough for papers and groceries. Though I usually do a weekly shop in Enniskillen 25 miles away. There has been a lot of news lately about air pollution. They must be talking about England, because they only air pollution we get is when they are muck- spreading (or dumping!) Shocked

I grow some veg and fruit (raspberries and blueberries), but I do like my flowers. I have some perennial borders, a Japanese-inspired garden, I'm re-vamping a mixed garden towards an Apothercary's garden and I also 'inherited' a moth-eaten orchard and woodland.

At one time I would have done almost everything in the garden. Nowadays, due to injuries and (creeping old age Laughing ) I have a little help with the mauling jobs and the boring bits (grass-cutting)

I look forward to hearing more about gardening in your corner of the world.

tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Roxanne. (Police fan?)
I think you have a few of the regulars jealous of your lifestyle already.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
ROXANNE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue Deacon wrote:
Ooh, a guaranteed Summer, now I AM jealous! Laughing

Like you, we are far enough from town for some peace and quiet, but close enough for papers and groceries. Though I usually do a weekly shop in Enniskillen 25 miles away. There has been a lot of news lately about air pollution. They must be talking about England, because they only air pollution we get is when they are muck- spreading (or dumping!) Shocked

I grow some veg and fruit (raspberries and blueberries), but I do like my flowers. I have some perennial borders, a Japanese-inspired garden, I'm re-vamping a mixed garden towards an Apothercary's garden and I also 'inherited' a moth-eaten orchard and woodland.

At one time I would have done almost everything in the garden. Nowadays, due to injuries and (creeping old age Laughing ) I have a little help with the mauling jobs and the boring bits (grass-cutting)

Hi Sue,
Nice to hear about your style of gardening and your future idea's ref the garden,

It's the good side of gardening as we all get older "we can change the garden so its less work and yet still enjoy all the country has to offer.

Im thinking of telling of my plans ref the field ive bought (future allotment) and how its going to fit into our future plans ie the getting older and also how the dogs will be very much part of it all)

So have a look at what ive to say today to help those who are just getting into gardening "it's ment to help the beginner and also the disabled folk who also want to garden,

These are the people ive always had a concern about and if i can help them start off in what is the right way? Then with help gardening life can be much simpler and the results much better than having to learn in the dark so to speak.

So Sue let me know what you think about todays little lot "please"
good or not so good.

I look forward to hearing more about gardening in your corner of the world.

ROXANNE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
Welcome aboard Roxanne. (Police fan?)
I think you have a few of the regulars jealous of your lifestyle already.

Hello tagwex,
And again thank you for the welcome, this is the good thing about the internet

"meeting people who have the same interest,
At times when i read the daily news or watch the tv news ref all the nasty things in this world I really do wonder whats gone wrong "why"
But for those of us who just like the simple things in life "well" its nice to talk to each one and share what we've got.

Nice to talk to you.
Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: