Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Native American Diaries...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Most Recent Posts Honeymoon Honesty
Last post: Greengage
Warning of Stormy Weather, Ireland, 11/3/08 to 12/3/08.
Last post: Greengage
Quiet times
Last post: Sue Deacon
woodland trust quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powerful stuff, shameful story. There is some similar stuff in Barry's book.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still in Dublin...back Sunday.........If you think that last entry was shameful wait til' you read the Eyewitness accounts....
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geranimojess wrote:
SAND CREEK MASSACRE 1864....

"Damn any man who sympathizes with the Indians...
I have come here to kill Indians and believe it is right and honourable to use any means under Gods Heaven to kill Indians...kill and Scalp all...big and little... Nits make Lice....

Colonel John Milton Chivington.....
What a nice man! Twisted Evil

Harking back to quotations on the walls at the Happiness Trap, there is one from another 'Indian' - Ghandi - 'Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need but not every man's greed.' I think that says it all!

Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geranimojess wrote:
Still in Dublin...back Sunday.....

Meant to say Saturday....I'm concluding the "Sand Creek Massacre" ... while many details are being omitted the "Eyewitness Accounts" should give you a pretty good idea of the treatment meted out to the Native Americans on their own Land by these "Christians" who called the Indians "Savages".......you decide......

The Attack........

Black Kettle...leading Chief of about 800 Cheyenne were joined by the Arapaho led by Chief Niwot made their way to Fort Lyons in compliance with provisions of a Peace Parly held in Denver in Sept' 1864...after a while the Natives were requested to relocate to "Big Sandy Creek" 40 mls N/W of Fort Lyon with the absolute Guarantee of perfect Safety remaining in effect...

Unwilling to surrender themselves to Military Authorities most of the Warriors refused the offer of protection , leaving only about 75 men plus all the Women and Children in the Village...Black Kettle flew the American Flag and a White Flag beneath it on his Lodge as he had been advised...this was to show he was friendly and to prevent any attack by the Colorado Soldiers...

Meanwhile Chivington {A Methodist Preacher--Freemason--Opponent of Slavery } and 425 men rode to Fort Lyon arriving on Nov' 28th 1864...once at the Fort. Chivington took command of another 250 men of the 1st Colorado Calvary and 12 men of the 1st Regiment New Mexico Volunteer Infantry and set out to Black Kettles Camp...James Beckwourth {A noted Frontiersman } acted as a Guide...

The following Morning Chivington gave the order to attack...2 Officers Captain Silas Soule and Lt'Joseph Cramer refused to obey and told their men to hold fire...however the rest of Chivingtons men immediately attacked and ignored the American and the White Flags and murdered as many of the Natives as they could

Eyewitness Accounts....

Congressional Testimony of John S Smith...

I saw Bodies of those lying there all cut to pieces...the worst Mutilation I have ever seen...the Women were all cut to pieces with Knives , all Scalped , their Brains knocked out...Children 2 and 3 Months old...all ages lying there from sucking Infants up to Warriors all Mutilated by the United States Soldiers...

Robert Bent......New York Tribune 1879...

I saw one Squaw lying on the Bank whose Leg had been broken...a Soldier came up to her with a drawn Sabre , She raised Her Arm to protect Herself he struck Her breaking Her Arm...She rolled over and raising Her other Arm he broke that also and then left Her without killing Her...I saw one Squaw cut open and Her unborn Baby beside Her...

Major Anthony.....New York Tribune 1879...

There was a Child about 3 yrs old walking through the Sand...the Indians had gone on ahead and the Child was following them...I saw a Soldier get off His Horse at a distance of about 75 yds and draw his Rifle and fire but He missed... another Soldier came along and said "Let me get the little B-----d, I'll get Him but He also missed...a 3rd Soldier fired and the Child dropped and stopped moving...

Stan Hoig....

Fingers and Ears were cut off the Indians for the Jewellery they wore...the body of Chief Antelope was Scalped and His Nose , Ears and Testicles also cut off , the last for a Tobacco Pouch...

Kit Carson overheard conversing with a Col' James Rushline...

Just to think of that Dog Chivington and his dirty Hounds up there at Sand Creek...his men shot Squaws and Children and blew their Brains out...you call these sick Soldiers "Christians" and the Natives" Savages"...what do you suppose our Heavenly Father who made them and us think of these things... I'll tell you something, I don't like these Hostile Red Skins any more than you do... I fought them as hard as any man ever did but I never drew a Bead on any Squaw or Child and I despise any man who would...

The Natives lacking Artillery could not make much resistance,,,Morning Star {Cheyenne} in his evidence said that most of the dead were killed by the Cannon Guns...

In his Testimony Chivington claimed between 500 / 600 Indians were killed... Historians dispute that and put the figures at a more realistic 80 / 133 with Soldiers casualties at 24 dead and 52 Wounded ...some of these from "Friendly" fire as some reports suggest that some men were Drunk...

Before Chivington left they plundered the Tepees and took Horses...after the Smoke cleared the Soldiers came back and killed many of the Wounded and Scalped many of the Dead regardless of whether they were Women--Children or Infants...they also publicly hung these "Trophies" on their Guns and Bayonets and displayed then in Denver's Apollo Theater and local Saloons... these "Trophies" also included Human Fetuses and Male and Female Genitalia...

Despite threats to his Life Captain Silas Soule Testified against Chivington...

On Dec' 3rd 2014 Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper formally Apologized to the Descendants of Sand Creek Victims gathered in Denver to commerate the 150th Anniversary of the event...Hickenlooper said "We should not be afraid to criticize and condemn the inexcusable...on behalf of the State of Colorado I want to Apologize , we will not run away from this History...

In 2015 construction began of a Memorial to the Sand Creek Massacre Victims in Denver...Colorado...
Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When one considers the huge size of North America (USA and Canada combined) and ponders just how many indigenous tribespeople it would have supported pre-settlers, I always feel it a bit hypocritical when modern day descendants on this side of the Pond get all 'Holier than Thou' about the Holocaust? Europeans would shoot Aborigines for sport in Australia, and goodness knows how many Zulus were killed in South Africa.

Trying to assess the EU situation and Brexit, it occurs to me that, if one were to draw an imaginary line roughly east west through the Mediterranean, and then draw other lines northward from Portugal and Lebanon, the whole world has been under the influence of the countries inside those lines for the last 500 years. History relies on supremacy (it's always the victors who write about it) and literacy (you've got to be able to write to keep a record) and very few peoples could read or write to any great extent before the modern era. With the lasting effects of that influence still firmly engraved on the modern world for all time as a result of education and technology, is there any likelihood of the powerhouse nations of Europe ever subjugating themselves to a central government?

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Christian I should say I am ashamed of these people and their actions. But I am more ANGRY than ashamed. I see no evidence of Christ in their lives or their actions.

Jesus was a Jew. He came from a working class background in a backwater of the Roman empire. At an early age he was a refugee, later an itinerant preacher. He died the death of a common criminal. What you believe after that is up to you.

In Dickens' 'A Christmas Carol' the ghost of Christmas Present' says "There are some upon this earth of yours, who lay claim to know us, and to do their deeds of passion, pride, ill-will, hatred, envy, bigotry and selfishness in our name, who are as strange to us and all our kith and kin, as if they had never lived. Remember that and charge their doings on themselves, not us."

tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An horrific portrayal. Which side were the 'savages' on?

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I signed up to an environmental newsletter a while back. Some of it verges on the 'hippy-dippy', but I saw something today that I thought was pertinent to this thread. I'm struggling to post the link to JUST this item, but it can be found on YouTube. It's called ' An Anthem for Standing Rock' - Water into fire, and I just can't get the tune out of my head.

Some things never change - the fight goes on ....

Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue Deacon wrote:
. It's called ' An Anthem for Standing Rock' - Water into fire, and I just can't get the tune out of my head.

Some things never change - the fight goes on ....

"Standing Rock" is in Nth Dakota and for the past number of years a Stand-off has been on-going between the Tribal Nations and the Federal Authorities....An Oil Company is Bulldozing it's way across the State, crossing Native Land and Sacred Burial Sites without permission to lay their Pipes in contravention to an order by Ex President Obama...Unarmed Natives {It's a peaceful protest} are once again being denied the right to defend their own Property and the full might of the "Law" !!!!! is being brought to bear on them by the presence of Police and Soldiers fully Dressed in War Combat Fatigues and armed to the Teeth....Water Cannons are used on Men --Women and Children in Freezing Cold conditions---regular Arrests are made and Journalists are prohibited from reporting...several who defied the Ban were arrested and Imprisoned...

President Trump has since given the go-ahead for the Pipeline and ordered the removal of the Indian Camps to be gone by Feb' 22nd...several Oil spills have already been reported and Lake's / Rivers destroyed...Workers employed by the Company have {so it's reported} also Threatened the protesters with Guns openly while the Authorities looked on...and during the early Days of the protest a Private Security Company employed by the Oil Company released Guard Dogs on the Civilians causing numerous Injuries...following a Court case the Private Company was stepped down...

The protest continues and regular updates are on Facebook...
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that is on YouTube. It shows rivers on fire and people being tasered and shot with rubber bullets. I'd not heard of it before, shameful! 'Land of the Free'? Doesn't sound like it to me.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blowin wrote:
When one considers the huge size of North America (USA and Canada combined) and ponders just how many indigenous tribespeople it would have supported pre-settlers, I always feel it a bit hypocritical when modern day descendants on this side of the Pond get all 'Holier than Thou' about the Holocaust? Europeans would shoot Aborigines for sport in Australia, and goodness knows how many Zulus were killed in South Africa.

These figures may startle you...it's in print that since time began to eliminate the Native American Hundreds of years ago it's estimated that "One Hundred Million" Native Americans have been killed in what the Natives describe as the "Untalked about Holocaust"...the following is a brief report to substantiate those figures...

Who really discovered America...

According to an Article in the "Whiteout Press" Leif Eriksson was the 1st Person to actually discover America...it is a commonly mistaken belief that Christopher Columbus was the 1st to discover the Americas in 1492 {Open to correction} but Eriksson sailed toward the New World 500 years before Columbus and was greeted by the "Clovis" People who arrived on these Landmasses Thousands of years before the European Naval Explorers...These People had crossed the Bering Strait Land Bridge that connected Siberia and Alaska and Travelled South to the New Mexico Region...these People later became the Native Americans and were the basis for many other Cultures...

The "Clovis" People are accepted as the 1st Inhabitants of the Americas due to the "overwhelming lack of evidence of pre' Clovis cultures" ...this culture is believed to have spread into Sth America and is the root of of more well known American cultures with which People are familiar such as the Aztecs and the Cherokee...

A common misconception is that Christopher Columbus discovered the Americas whereas his actual contribution was being one of the forerunners of Colonization of these Continents from European Countries...his Voyages led him to the Americas across the Atlantic Ocean where he sailed along the Eastern Coasts of these Landmasses to Survey and Chart them...later Colonists and Traders moved to the Americas irrevocably changing the Cultures of the original American People by introducing Christian Cultures and Traditions........

Native American saying....Christopher Columbus did not discover America...we discovered him lost at Sea...

Last edited by Geranimojess on Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about our own St. Brendan?

Geranimojess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
What about our own St. Brendan?

Who is He........... Confused
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allegedly the first person to find the Americas.

Geranimojess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
Allegedly the first person to find the Americas.

I'm aware of that...only problem is that 500 yrs before Columbus landed the Vikings got there 1st and evidence of that was found back in 1960...nowhere was there any evidence relating to an Irish Landing although a few year back a replica Boat was made and set off from Kerry and did actually make it to Newfoundland...so anything is possible....but that still leaves the "Clovis People" who were there even before Brendan landed if indeed he did...

That's why Myths and Legends are there to prove / disprove who the "1st Europeans" were to land...the "Clovis" had already done that 1,000's of years earlier...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: