Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Native American Diaries...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Most Recent Posts Quiet times
Last post: Sue Deacon
woodland trust quizz.
Warning of Stormy Weather, Ireland, 11/3/08 to 12/3/08.
Garden Bird Survey.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Geranimojess
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good guy wrote:
When I first entered a teepee in Calgary I was surprised at how spacious it was. Such a great piece of economical design, nothing wasted in that world.
Looking forward to your pueblo accounts. I really like the way the buildings ore of the earth and seem to grow from it: a bit like my aunt's cob house in Devon. The pueblo people made/make some damn fine pottery, too. For obvious reasons, pottery wasn't much use to nomadic tribes.

Unless you want to carry a load of Pots on your back every time you moved... no Removal Trucks in those Days...
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pueblos.....

The Pueblo was a type of home built by Natives in the South West especially the "Hopi" Tribe...they were permanent Shelters that were sometimes part of large Villages that housed Hundreds sometimes Thousands of People...often they were built inside Caves or on the sides of large Cliffs...

Pueblo Homes were built of Bricks made from Adobe Clay...they were made by mixing Clay--Sand--Grass and Straw together then setting them in the Sun to harden...once the Bricks were hard they would be used to build Walls which were then covered in more Clay to fill in the Gaps...to keep the Walls strong every year a new layer of Clay was applied...

A Pueblo Home was made up of a number of Clay Rooms built on top of each other, sometimes they were built as high as 4 / 5 Stories tall...each Room got smaller the higher the Building rose...Ladders were used to climb between the Floors and at Night they would be removed to prevent others entering their Homes...
Good guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their is the fragility aspect too - woven baskets, textile or leather bags would survive better
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doris Day sang...."Take me back to the Black Hills , the Black Hills of Dakota to the beautiful Indian Country that I love"......well sorry to spoil any Romantic thoughts you might have but read on to the real facts and how "Big Brother" takes whatever and whenever he wants even ignoring the US Supreme Court Rulings.....

The Black Hills of Dakota....

The conflict over the control of the Region sparked the "Black Hills War" of 1876, also known as the "Great Sioux War" the last great major Indian War on the great Plains...following the defeat of the Lakota and their Cheyenne and Arapaho Allies in 1876 the US took control of the "Black Hills" and another strip of Land in violation of the Treaty of Fort Laramie...the Lakota never accepted the validity of the appropriation in 1887...They have continued to try to reclaim the Property and filed a suit against the Government...

On July 23rd 1980 in "The United States v Sioux Nation" the Supreme Court of the United States ruled that the "Black Hills" were illegally taken by the Government and that renumeration of the initial offered price plus Interest -- nearly $106 Million-- be paid...the Lakota refused the settlement as they wanted the "Black Hills" returned to them...the money to this Day in an Interest Bearing Account amounts to in excess of $1.2 BILLION but the Lakota still refuse to take it believing that to take it would allow the Government to justify taking ownership of the "Black Hills"...

In 2012 United Nations Special Rapporteur James Anaya conducted a 12 Day tour of Native Lands to determine how the US is carrying out the"United Nations Declaration on the rights of Indigenous People" endorsed by the Administration of President Obama...Anaya met with 7 Tribes on Reservations and in Urban Areas as well as with Members of the Obama Administration and the Senate of Indian Affairs...Anaya recommended that some Lands be returned to some Tribes including the return of the "Black Hills" to the Lakota Sioux...his full official report with recommendations was handed to the Government in Dec' 2012...
Good guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sebastian Barry's novel Days Without End is set in the US during the Civil War and Indian Wars. Its a really good read - i treated myself to it for Christmas. Its about the experiences in those times of a man who fled famine-struck Sligo as a child.
Good guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sebastian Barry's novel Days Without End is set in the US during the Civil War and Indian Wars. Its a really good read - i treated myself to it for Christmas. Its about the experiences in those times of a man who fled famine-struck Sligo as a child.
Good guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Hopi pottery Reply with quote

The Hopi are remowned for their pottery.

IMG_5231.JPG
 Description:
Hopi ceramics
 Filesize:  172.58 KB
 Viewed:  2252 Time(s)

IMG_5231.JPG

Geranimojess

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good guy wrote:

That's one I don't have so I must have a look-see about it...I have 2 Books on the civil War...."Forward to Richmond" and "Brother against Brother" they are part of a collection of 10 {I think} never was able to get the other 8...though I did see some Lad offer the full set on E-Bay for 250 a few years ago...another Book is the "Indians" all in beautiful Embossed covers and all printed by Time-Life Books... I think they would be a collectors prize today...

That Pot was pretty but unfortunately with so many mass-produced today you wouldn't know if you were getting the real thing or not even if you bought it from a "Hopi" himself... Wink
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I inadvertently found myself in Sligo I think I would flee too. Wouldn't know who you could run into!!!

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE

Last edited by tagwex on Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Good guy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you bought from a reputable art gallery there wouldnt be a problem with authenticity. But i know what you mean - there is a world of difference in quality between, for instance, the kind of spanish or portugese painted pottery you will find in an average beachside shop and the real McCoy. Big difference in price too, of course.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good guy wrote:

Just heard on the News that Book won the "Costa" award for it's writer and in the words of the Judges "It blew them away, it was so good "...that's the 2nd time he won, the last time was in 2008....so well worth checking out...
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good guy wrote:
I think if you bought from a reputable art gallery there wouldnt be a problem with authenticity. But i know what you mean - there is a world of difference in quality between, for instance, the kind of spanish or portugese painted pottery you will find in an average beachside shop and the real McCoy. Big difference in price too, of course.

As you say my Finances would not stretch to an Art Gallery...
Good guy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its very good book. One of those where the story stays in your head long after reading it.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good guy wrote:
Its very good book. One of those where the story stays in your head long after reading it.

My kind of read...only one other Book ever did that for me it was "The Eagle has landed"...I saw the Film after but it was not the same {never is sez' you}...
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAND CREEK MASSACRE 1864....

This is a rather long Story, but to omit any parts would be unfair...so I'll break it into segments beginning with the "Background" of the Massacre...

The "Sand Creek Massacre" also known as the "Chivington Massacre" occurred on Nov' 29th 1864 when a Force of 675 men of the Colorado US Volunteer Calvary attacked and destroyed a Village of Cheyenne and Arapaho in Southeastern Colorado killing and Mutilating an estimated 70 -163 Natives of whom approx' 2/3 rd's were Women and Children...{ later I will disclose Eye-Witness statements from Soldiers present }...

In Nov' 1858 the discovery of Gold in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado led to Migrants flooding across Cheyenne and Arapaho Land, they competed for resources and many wanted to stay...Colorado Territorial Officials pressured the Federal Authorities into redefining the extent of Indian Lands in the Territory... in the Autumn of 1860 A.B Greenwood Commissioner of Indian Affairs arrived at "Bents New Fort" along the Kansas River to negotiate a new Treaty...on Feb' 18th 1860 6 Chiefs from the Cheyenne and 4 from the Arapho signed the Treaty of "Fort Wise" with the US in which they ceded most of the Lands designated to them by the "Fort Laramie" Treaty...

The Cheyenne Chiefs included "Black Kettle"--"White Antelope"-- and several others...the Arapaho included "Little Raven"--"Niwot {Left Hand} and several others...the new Reserve was less than 1 / 13th of the 1851 Reserve , most bands of the Cheyenne and Lakota that had evolved in the 1830's were angry at the Chiefs for signing the agreement--they disavowed the Treaty-- which never received the Blessing of the Council of 44 {The Supreme Tribal Authority} and refused to abide by it's constraints...they continued to live and Hunt on the rich Bison Land and became increasingly belligerent over the tide of White migration over their Lands...

Tension began to rise when the Migrants opened a new Road to the Gold Fields...the Cheyenne accused the Officials of bribing the Chiefs into signing the Treaty with promises of Gifts without the sanction of the rest of the Tribe... the Officials however claimed the Treaty was a "Solemn Obligation" and anyone refusing to abide by it were hostile and planning a War...

In March 1862...the Colorado Volunteers under the command of Colonel John Chivington and Territory Governor John Evans adopted a hard line against the Indians after White Settlers accused them of stealing Cattle...In April 1864 without any warning or declaration of War Colorado Soldiers began attacking and destroying Cheyenne Camps , the largest which included 70 Lodges which was about 1 / 10th of the entire capacity of the Cheyenne Nation...

On May 16th 1864 a detachment under the command of Lt' George S Eayre crossed into Kansas and encountered Cheyenne in their Summer Camp... Chiefs Lean Bear and Star approached the Soldiers to signal their peaceful intent but were shot dead by Eayres men...this incident touched of a War of retaliation by the Cheyenne in Kansas....

"Damn any man who sympathizes with the Indians...
I have come here to kill Indians and believe it is right and honourable to use any means under Gods Heaven to kill Indians...kill and Scalp all...big and little... Nits make Lice....

Colonel John Milton Chivington.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: