Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

Engineer needed

Most Recent Posts Anyone any thoughts on using wind screen protection?
Last post: mange tout
...What did you do Today...
Last post: Ado 2
Garden Visits.
Last post: tagwex
organic feed / nettles
Last post: Blowin

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Engineer needed Reply with quote

I seem to recall at least one member mentioning that they've an engineering background? I need a bit of help/advice in designing a tool for the garden so would be glad to hear from someone with experience in working sheet steel of 2.5-3mm thickness, please?
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info Blowin. Are you trying to roll it or crease it?

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Tagwex says, it all depends on what you want to do. OH has experience with sheet steel from all the car restoration he has done. No half measures with this boy!

He's willing to help if he can.

Blowin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In answer to Tagwex, I want to crease it. About four years ago, in one of my pensive moods, I realised my dibber wasn't as versatile as it should be, so I actually made two versions that, together, have worked brilliantly ever since. I'm now confident that, if I could merge the two into one tool, it would be a seller. After all, if it will do all the necessary functions, it should be a once in a lifetime purchase and suitable for garden centres anywhere or, better still, on line.

At least 85% of the design is complete and I know what I need for the remainder but this is where I need to have an expert opinion in case what I have in mind isn't feasible. At my age I'm not considering going into business myself but would be delighted to see someone else take it forward, knowing it was mine in the first place.

The blurb I've done on it is about 2 x A4 which I'll send to you, T. To Sue, if you think OH would be interested, pm me your email address and I'll do likewise.

tagwex

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Einstein has nothing on you Blowin. I presume this is aimed at the elderly and infirm.

First thought is that the 800mm is too short because as you pointed out yourself you need to go down 300mm of that so that has to introduce a bent back. It needs to be approx. 1100mm long.

For longevity the wooden stake needs to be PVC.

I would consider making it T-shaped in that the wooden stake is hinged centrally at the top of the walking stick so when it is parallel to the ground it acts as a handle to push the walking stick part into the ground and with a groove routed out of it on one of the long sides so the walking stick folds into it and clipped in some way.

At a point 300mm up from the pointed end of the walking stick weld on a cross piece which acts as a handle to push the wooden end in and as a point to push on with the hobnail boots for the walking stick end in tougher ground.

The part that you have coloured red I just cannot picture what it is you are trying to say. I need a picture.

The bill is in the post.

Blowin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is intended for everyone, not just us 'wrinklies'. For example, my leek row is about 20ft long x 3 plants wide with 6/7 inches between plants, so I can make 80-100 holes in one session, then go back planting the seedlings, i.e. another set of bends.

There's no wood involved but, rather than bore everyone else, I should read it again.

tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a wooden stake in the picture???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: