Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Huge storm takes out Sequoia

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts New herbaceous border
Last post: TMAK
Hello to all
Last post: Jim wolohan
Wanted moderator or admin appply to............
Last post: Greengage
Roll on 2019
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sue Deacon
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's OK, I know where you are coming from. It does LOOK an easy thing to do.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you and OH feel confident enough hire an aluminium tower to get up there and just nibble away at it in small amounts with a chainsaw/bushman until it is cut back to the break, failing that get a lumberjack/tree surgeon in who will climb the tree and do the same.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Greengage

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your friend, I have been around tree surgeons and things can go wrong, A tree lying down with a big root ball can even bounce back up when cut, I also know someone who would not pay to have his trees cut said he could do it himself no problem, he did and fell from first tree unfortunately he died from the fall. A big swinging branch like that are often referred to as widow makers.
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage - that's where the 'crack' willow gets it's reputation as a 'widow-maker' .

Friend's son died just before Christmas 2015, leaving two small boys. I remember him as a young boy coming around to our workshop to cadge cigarettes off OH. Stupid, senseless accident.

It doesn't appear to be going anywhere at the moment, but I can't see me working anywhere NEAR it!

Making plans to have a few cut down in the spring. Really don't want to, but they are overwhelming the garden. Planning to plant some smaller, better behaved trees. I had a brainwave this morning. Perhaps THIS is the opportunity for me to finally get a multi-stemmed birch.

Greengage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the thing about them multi stemmed birch in Nurseries they usually plant 3 6/8s in a large tub and sell them as multi stemmed but there not they are actually 3 trees competing for nutrients water etc from the soil. A real multi stemmed tree would be cut low to the ground and dormant buds would sprout growing into what we call multi stemmed but they are also hazardous as the branches grow out at the wrong angles you can also have the problem with included bark leading to problems in the future,I also have a large double stemmed birch in my garden which I am concerned about. Also Birch are surface rooters which are a bit of a nuisance and they attract loads of greenfly and at the moment the small seed coverings are falling off and its a constant job cleaning the floor after being out back Think it has to go. Sorry for being negative. But having said that there is a very beautiful one call Betula trinity it is an Irish variety so given all I said before I would plant this one.
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen those trees and know them for the con they are. But when I did the garden for my friend, I managed to get 3 really beautiful, proper multi-stemmed Himalayan birch and with a little yearly maintenance they are stunning. I am SO pleased I got them.

I actually saw them in a garden centre in Donegal the year before I was asked to do the garden. They were in the yard at the back of the centre, probably bought for a job. But the next spring they were for sale 199 euro EACH! I told the owner I'd seen them the year before and I'd buy them at the right price. I got all three for 300 euro. You don't ask, you don't get! Laughing

I have a friend in the trade who is trying to source one for me.

BTW the pine is STILL hanging in there! Rolling Eyes

Good guy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can pm you the details of a Donegal based tree surgeon that I would trust, if you like, Sue.
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes please GG.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden visits All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: