Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Water features in Ireland, including all aspects of water gardening.

Happy new year to water gardeners

Most Recent Posts Hello
Last post: Sue Deacon
What is this plant please
Last post: Sue Deacon
Amelanchier
Last post: Good guy
Prime Seaweed (Availability) Conditions?
Last post: Gautama

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
vulkan
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Happy new year to water gardeners Reply with quote

Happy new year to water gardeners, and to prospective water gardeners. Very Happy

Idea It is always great when the new year arrives, and you want to plan ahead and start a water garden or add a water feature. I would like to offer a few tips and some words of caution.

Do your research first, ask questions, look at what other people have achieved, if you can, go and visit places that have something that you would like but bigger. Never underestimate how much the final cost will be, it is better to have a small very well constructed garden / water feature / pond than it is to have a big "sort of all right" garden / pond / water feature.
Always buy the best quality components you can afford, if that means scrimping on another part of your design, then wait and save up the money, you will not regret it.

A well made pond / water feature / garden will last for years and years and you will only need to build it once.

Arrow Smile
This is a good forum, please post pictures of your pond / water garden build, ask as many questions as you feel you need to, you may not get an "instant reply" because, like yourself most of us will be busy with family and other things. To keep things fair and even I would like to suggest the following.

Pictures:
Post lots of pictures, but we don't need to see "aunty Eileen" next to the excavation, (aunty Eileen, will no doubt like it, but we don't know who she is, and sadly she will add nothing to the picture subject.)

Post only pictures of what you are building / having built, no one really wants to see "here is my best pal Dougal and his crew building a pond for some one else that you will never see again" Or "These pictures are what I / my crew made years ago" Its just not fair on new starters, and is nothing but advertising. (Which is not allowed)
Pictures are always nice when they are in focus, if your picture is blurred, may I ask you take another picture and post that, where possible.
Always make the subject interesting, you may want to watch the paint on garden furniture dry, but do any of us want to watch it too?

Comments[
Please feel free to comment either good or bad, if you don't like something and you feel it could be better, be polite about the way you say it.
Please do not expect comments about anything you post unless you have posted comments on others pictures, but please do not post short things like "yes its nice" and expect big replies to what you may post.

I figure that as it is a new year it would be good to "start again" this post is not to knock anyone at all, just to offer my thoughts on the direction a forum should go.

Happy new year to you all. Very Happy

kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year, Vulcan.

Have you any pictures of examples to show people? That'd be good. Small. medium, large.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
vulkan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I should have said "Happy Easter" to water gardeners Laughing
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Happy Easter then. Smile Smile
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Water features in Ireland, including all aspects of water gardening. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: