Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Planting veg in garden with septic tank

Most Recent Posts Quiet times
Last post: Good guy
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Creamy Roasted Garlic and Mushroom Soup
Last post: Sue Deacon
Ancient human remains found of the first politician
Last post: marlin vs

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
David B Mitchell
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Planting veg in garden with septic tank Reply with quote

Hi all. I'm completely new to gardening and just doing my research before I start. I have been reading lots of books and Google searches and just wanted advice on growing veg in my large back south facing garden.
I have a septic tank and drainage pipe running across garden so I don't want to chance bacteria or chemicals in my food so I will go polytunnel and high raised beds. I would love to grow near my tank too as is perfect spot.
My question is how do I line my beds I. E. Weed barrier or plastic or whatever and how high do I go t have no chance of contamination. Is it possible to have a raised beds near enough to tank and still be 100% safe by making them a certain way.
Thanks in advance for any info, also do like minded veg hobby growers meets take place ☺
Sue Deacon
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be being a bit dim (no comment Tagwex) but I would have thought that unless the pipes and tank were old or badly fitting that there would be no problems along the length of the pipes.

Ours is an old system and the only problem we have is from an overflow into the ditch (in the field next door)

Friends in England built a stone patio and raised stone bed (full of flowers) over their tank. They can get access to it but you wouldn't know it was there. They have never had any problems with plants.

You could always grow plants for pollenators.

We have more of a problem with the oil tank. On a couple of occasions we have had to bleed the system and oil has seeped into the ground near the veg. Still never been a noticeable problem.

tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your tank is working fine then the water coming out the end is actually drinkable. Unfortunately 80% of the tanks in this country do not fall into that bracket.
Having said that there should be no contamination problem growing over the percolation pipes and no need for a liner.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
David B Mitchell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news, I only worry as it is old and the grass around the tank is very green (maybe a small leak) and there is a line of green grass across garden where drainage pipe runs. I thought this means the grass is getting nutrients (and maybe more) from the waste.
Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two small points, David. If the authorities do ever get round to inspecting all the septic tanks, they're going to insist any sub-standard ones are replaced. I'm not holding my breath on that, but it's a possibility and, if your set-up is likely to fall into that category, maybe you should consider the effect it might have?

The other point is that, as Tagwex says, a good system should deal with all the 'nasties' so any moisture that capilliarises back up to the surface from yours SHOULD be basically clean. One can never be totally clean in gardening as even rain water absorbs whatever's in the air as it falls (including Nitrogen thankfully) so striving for perfection can be fruitless.

tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever apply for planning permission for anything on your property you will have to supply an environmental report and your tank WILL be tested. Invariably it will fail.

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
If you ever apply for planning permission for anything on your property you will have to supply an environmental report and your tank WILL be tested. Invariably it will fail.
Go on, scare the bejeebers out of him! For all you know it might be a brand new property - unlike the prehistoric system I have. Laughing
David B Mitchell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see I'm being over cautious on this. Thanks for all the replies folks ☺
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very few properties are granted septic tanks for some years now Lady Fermanagh. The authorities now insist on treatment plants and WILL force anyone who doesn't comply or who has a malfunctioning tank to replace it. Those are the facts.

My line of work Sue.

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
Very very few properties are granted septic tanks for some years now Lady Fermanagh. The authorities now insist on treatment plants and WILL force anyone who doesn't comply or who has a malfunctioning tank to replace it. Those are the facts.

My line of work Sue.
Perhaps it hasn't reached this area of Fermanagh. I'm told our house didn't get electricity until about 30 years ago. As for mains drains..... Also, being in a bog means we can't bury tanks too deep - or they pop up again! Shocked
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Republic is a different and better empire Sue Subject to better governance and more environmentally friendly long term policies!

Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are having a laugh? Passing laws? Not bad. Enforcing? 1 out of 10.

From the Southern Star a few weeks back, a statement from An Garda Siochana that they'd detected 28,000 motorists using mobile phones while driving and that they were issuing a warning it must stop. And the 28,000? No mention of any prosecutions - or the 1.5 million revenue they should have raised via on the spot fines.

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
The Republic is a different and better empire Sue Subject to better governance and more environmentally friendly long term policies!

Yeh, I believe you - thousands wouldn't.

tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes guv. Totally having a laugh, tongue in cheek all the way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: