Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

I need bees

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: I need bees Reply with quote

There is a distinct lack of pollination going on in my glasshouse. The tomato plants, approx. 20, have hundreds of yellow flowers and very little fruit. The melons and squashes are much the same, dozens of flowers and not one fruit. I have two aubergine plants and only yesterday noticed the first fruit. I leave the doors and windows open during the day for a few hours to no avail. For next year what can I sow that will draw in the pollinators that will not take up too much room?

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment, both honey and bumble bees are going for my Bergamot, Mints, Scabious, Corn Poppies and Borage.
Greengage

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For pollinating tomatoes, Aubergines, melons you need bumble bees only bumblebees can provide sonification which is the vibrating of the thorax muscles not wings to release pollen from these flowers. therefore you need to plant Lambs ear, Cat mint, Marjoram to name just three to attract them to your garden.
Honey bees are no good to you for pollinating these plants.
1. They do not fly early in the day before any nectar available dries out in the heat of the greenhouse.
2. They do not fly in damp humid enviorment of glasshouses.
3. They exhibit floral fidility and a couple of tomatoe plants will not entice them to collect pollen if there is something more appatising nearer there hive in larger quantities.
4. They cannot buzz pollinate.
Buzz pollinated tomatoe plants will have a bruising on the end of the flower where the bumblebee grasped the flower to buzz..
http://www.buzzaboutbees.net/bees-pollinate-tomatoes.html
"I know this is a family show" but you could call into Anne Summers and buy a vibrator they tell me in Australia they used them all the time before the introduction of Bumblebees there. it wll be a thrill to see them at work (The bees that is) Wink
Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, that should be worth seeing. Tagwex in AS on Youtube.
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greengage, very informative. Looks like I may go out with my net and catch a few bumble bees and lock them in! Orrr go buy some marjoram.

As for you Blowin, how do you not know that I may have one already?

Greengage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot just lock them in or they will die. While they can eat pollen and any workers collecting it usually bring it back to the colony to feed brood, they also need nectar and since Tomatoe plants do not suply nectar you will need to feed them a sugar syrup as well, your best bet would be to raise your own or else buy a colony from these lads, https://www.koppert.com/pollination/natural-pollination-bumble-bees/
Now this raises a whole lot of other issues but thats a different problem.
I did a bit of research on the Vibrators for you maybe Anne Summers is not the best place to go for the one you would NEED, so the first link explains the process and
http://www.lsuagcenter.com/portals/communications/publications/agmag/archive/2005/winter/pollinatinggreenhousetomatoeswithvibratorsblowers
the second link shows you how to make your own, what you do with either piece of information is up to you.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Pollinating-Tomatoes/
tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Greengage, I was joking about locking them in as I do leave the vents and door open most days. My one concern now is that it is most likely too late to get a crop this year.

Greengage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Chutney might be the best option for now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: