Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

New project starting.

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts hello everyone
Last post: cravings
For the retired
Last post: Blowin
Horse manure in bags?
Anyone any thoughts on using wind screen protection?

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy days.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Good guy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As my old Gran was wont to say: all good things come to those who wait. Happy days indeed.
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back GG.
Anyone heard tell of cous Ado lately?

Good guy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Maybe on hols?
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall her saying she was going away. July 3rd was her last post.

Good guy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people dont like to post stuff about hols because of security. On the other hand, maybe someone is sick?
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah maybe.

Ado 2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all. I am still here I am busy at work and him indoors is building a shed out the back thus making gardening a chore. I still have tomatoes and peppers and cucumbers growing in my greenhouse tho. In about two weeks pressure will be off and I will have more time for myself and the forum.Going to Wexford for s few days then. Keep up the good work
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ado etc. Can you pm each other and leave this thread open please? 'Tis getting diflected. :)
tippben

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update. My companion is getting cold feet! Partly for financial reasons, but mostly because he lives with OCD, and is freaking out about responsibility. He's on social welfare and has sick parents.

I really don't think a thirty square foot area that is already in good cultivation is a big commitment, as I have lots of Mypex given to me from a neighbour who gravelled their garden to use on bare soil.

So, I'm going to front the cost for the plot, and he will help out. We checked out seedaholic, and costed a year's worth of bought seeds at about 60 euros. That dropped to 45 after I'd looked at my spare seeds, he has some too, then Blowin kindly offered some more. There are several plant/seed swaps in the spring, so I am not worried about that.

I think that the worst scenario is that half the plot remains mulched and covered (there is free rotted manure there, plus grass clippings etc.), ready for somebody else to hit the ground running, but I was planning on a big block of sweetcorn and pumpkins to cover a lot of space in the first year.

Thoughts on problems I have not considered?
Blowin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Tippben - I suppose the vital question is whether your mate has reached the bottom of his enthusiasm or still has further to go. You don't want to be left in the lurch.

I think you might have to create something of a 'business plan' for 2017/8, the first part being whether you anticipate being there for that long. If you are, one or two densely planted separate wigwams of peas/runner beans in 2017 could provide enough seed (don't eat any) to give you ample swap currency, so that your seed costs of other crops for Spring 2018 can be as near nil as possible, i.e. you'll have enough to supply most of the other holders around you. For next spring, by selecting seed types that are easy to handle, e.g. swedes, one packet of seed will probably provide enough plants for half of Tipp if you start them off as separate items in spare seed trays or Rootrainers for transplant. I do my swedes that way and usually throw most of the packet away in the end.

If you sound out the other holders by chatting, you may find that they have full time jobs to hold down and would appreciate someone starting off lettuce, leek, brassica etc seedlings for them ready for planting. A minor profit on each can, again, reduce your costs to as near nil as possible and could subsidise the odd bag of compost or fertiliser. After all, to start each packet of seed off will only take up a square yard of your plot.

tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pumpkins take up an awful lot of area for a very small return of edible produce with a long growing season. And lets face it you don't have that big a plot. You would be far better off with with more productive veg and ones that have a short life so as you can get more uses out of the same square yard over the year.

tippben

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love squash though! The ones on sale for Halloween are too watery, and butternut gets a bit boring. I have ample access to sturdy hazel poles, and I've heard of people growing them vertically. I was thinking of Ukichi Kuri, and something with a similar small fruit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: