Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

What a difference a year makes

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: corkgardener
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex
Hi, guy here trying to grow stuff in a tunnel
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: What a difference a year makes Reply with quote

Two photos taken almost a year apart. Last year I was washed out of it with all the rain in May. My local garden centre man told me that because we are on a hill, all the nutrients were washed out of the soil, hence the reason that almost everything sown after May germinated but didn't grow. This year due to work committments I just couldn't get going in March, April and May at all and left it all to its own devices, apart from the greenhouse, to grow wild. My question is this, how come nothing would grow last year and this year I am inundated with weeds? Sprayed them all last weekend. I am thinking of getting a small area ready for winter crops.

20150831_185123.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  387.98 KB
 Viewed:  850 Time(s)

20150831_185123.jpg

20160620_174650.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  492.65 KB
 Viewed:  850 Time(s)

20160620_174650.jpg

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stone the crows! Even you don't deserve that?

Looking at this year's pic, I'm reminded of 'One year's weeds. Seven years' seeds.' and, following a conversation with a retired farmer, he thought that a 7 inch plough would bury things like docks deep enough to prevent them reappearing. I personally think he may have been a bit optimistic but, once your spray has done its work, what do you think about finding a chap with a powerful, modern unit and getting him to plough it to a depth of, say, 12 inches? A) It would prove a point on whether it would get rid of the weeds and b) at least you could get some sprouts, leeks and winter brassicas on the go. A few rolls of black membrane might help too?

tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even I don't deserve that?????
Do you know what? Every time I have looked down the field in the last month or two that phrase came to my head. I never forgot it after reading it in one of your comments a year or two back. I have had the whole plot harrowed, rotavated, ploughed and drilled for the previous 3 years and I still get inundated with weeds - a 2 acre bit of wasteland on two sides sees to that. Round up will do a good job as long as I keep on top of it. The plot just got ridiculously bad in the last month. I think I will do approx. 60 to 80m2 of winter crops.

kindredspirit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The land belongs to nature. We're only borrowing it. Smile
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
AJ
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some size plot and for sure that was a surprise and a hallf. Was doing a bit of research recently and apparently brassica's supress weed growth the year following harvesting. Don't know how true it is, but surely someone on here knows.
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I cannot figure is that nothing grew last year and the whole place needed fertilising which didn't happen. Yet the weeds are flourishing.

Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nature is always supreme but I can't help feeling Page 5 of http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about7228-60.html may be coming back to haunt you? Options are 1) Invest in several rolls of black builders' membrane, 2) Get a sow and piglets to clear the ground, 3) give up work or 4) scale back to what you can handle (4a - Employ a gardener?)
Ado 2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weather has been perfect for weeds. Plenty of sunshine then lots of rain. They don't need fertilised ground. Any ground will do. I noticed the dandelions and other wild flowers "weeds" in our local park this year when they delayed cutting the grass. It looked lovely ! !
tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have some memory Blowin.
Scale back methinks.

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is some plot to manage Tagwex, especially if you are working. Unless you are planning to sell produce I reckon you could still be self sufficient with half that space (or less) A friend of ours has a 15ft square 'keyhole' garden and a 10x8 greenhouse. She grows all the veg she needs (except taters) and STILL has enough to give to friends.

As for the weeds, they are so successful BECAUSE they grow anywhere and in all conditions.

The ground seems to slope in two directions. But the rows seem to run up and down the steepest slope? Would you not be better running the rows across the plot? But then sod's law says there would be a drought and you'd have to water it. Rolling Eyes

I understand completely why you are spraying Roundup, but I wish you wouldn't. I've used gallons of the stuff in the past, but the more I find out about it, the more guilty I feel. I think I said before that I used it at my friends house to clear an area for a shrub border. Well the weeds are growing as strongly as ever, but the shrubs are struggling, many are yellow and some have died. It is only the tougher ones (like the weeds) that are doing well. I think I have really fxxxxed-up the soil.

I'd be inclined to 'shave' the top growth and concentrate on a smaller area, until you have more time.

tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slope left to right is negligible, it is more the angle that I held the camera at. Less will be more in future.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: