Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden jokes, games and puzzles

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts Fastigiate tree with nuts
Last post: Silver surfer
Korean fir
Last post: Silver surfer
Amazing Agriculture machines.
Last post: Greengage
the last one
Last post: ponddigger

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Margo
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we was brought up to respect others not just elders. I remember when I was in my 40's and started a course at college. I just could not hack calling the teacher by their first name. As for doing an exam with a calculator and dictionary on the desk.
My school days started from 4 and by the time I was 6 knew the time table. We had to recite 2 to 12 times table every morning. My teacher who I absolutely adored used to walk up and down with a stick with a knob on the end. It was called Mr Nobby. If you wasn't reciting or concentrating he would donk your head with it. Luckily I never had it done to me. Imaging how I felt when I saw Mr Nobby on Antique Road Show. It was a Maori war club. Can you imagine that happening now.
I see someone in the mamby pamby state we are in the world has stopped Punch and Judy as it encourages domestic violence. What absolute twaddle. Domestic violence has been happening since the year dot
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's an outside loo?

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Sue, we had a switch on the set itself so I can only assume some of the early ones may have been wired straight into a wall socket. In that winter sledging/tobogganing became a huge activity with sledges getting more and more sophisticated. We lived at the bottom of a long hill, popular with the local lads, and, by the end of the snow, some of them had rigged up old car batteries and headlights so that they could carry on after night fall. At only four, I can recall being given a ride on one by one of the bigger kids. We finished up in a huge snowdrift and had to crawl back out of the hole we'd made going in.

For the youngster from Wexford, an outside loo was an old bucket toilet up the garden. 'Loo' is Dutch for 'palace', although anything less like a royal residence is hard to imagine.

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm Mamoth steaks, yum!

Trust you lot, we were having fun here.

Blowin - Something I remember the winter of '63 - opening the back door and having a wall of snow (3ft - but I was only little) land on top of me - I was wearing my PJ's and I still recall the shock of the cold snow. Shocked

tagwex

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The youngster from Wexford, now that has a ring to it. I remember coming over here from London as a child for the annual 2 week holiday and spending a week each in both sets of grandparents farm houses. Toilet facilities were, shall we say inferior to what we had in our London 3 bed semi. It was either the po under the bed or take your pick in the great outdoors day or night. So it seems you all had it good with an outside loo.

Blowin

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enough? I can't get rid of this image of a 57 year old 'delinquent teenager' in the snow wearing PJs. Now it's my turn for a lie down.
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the winter of 63 my father shovelled all the snow off the pathways etc, in the garden onto a lawn which had a 4' high wall all around it. The packed snow was much higher than the wall.

I started tunneling at the lawn gate. By the time I had finished, I had little corridors inside and three little rooms! It was actually quite cosy in there and all the kids piled in. As the weeks went on, however, the inside roof of our "Posh Igloo" gradually got lower and lower until in the end we could only crawl in. The packed snow was melting from the ground up. Sad Sad

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Margo

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kindredspirit wrote:
In the winter of 63 my father shovelled all the snow off the pathways etc, in the garden onto a lawn which had a 4' high wall all around it. The packed snow was much higher than the wall.

I started tunneling at the lawn gate. By the time I had finished, I had little corridors inside and three little rooms! It was actually quite cosy in there and all the kids piled in. As the weeks went on, however, the inside roof of our "Posh Igloo" gradually got lower and lower until in the end we could only crawl in. The packed snow was melting from the ground up. Sad Sad

Cor can you imagine if you did that now. Shock horror, hands up in amazement, Health and safety rubbish etc. But didn't you just have fun. Stupid mamby pamby state
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blowin - I was 3 when the snow fell on me!

KS - I remember that. Dad cleared the pavement - and block the street! Laughing

Margo

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet some remember this so well. I know its UK but I expect it was the same here as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH0kvxCfvG8&sns=fb
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All our yesterdays? One of those pics reminded me of something mum told me of her youth. 1930's Stoke on Trent, Saturday afternoon, mum coming out of the 'tuppney rush's' to play Cowboys and Indians through St Peter's Churchyard. Oh the innocence!

Photo's of the time - 1965 Auntie Margery's garden with little sis. and in our back yard with the go-cart dad made for us. Behind us is a Virginia Creeper, a cutting from that now grows over OH's shed.

rsz_cashmore_tree13.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.46 KB
 Viewed:  8470 Time(s)

rsz_cashmore_tree13.jpg

rsz_cashmore_tree14.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  68.14 KB
 Viewed:  8470 Time(s)

rsz_cashmore_tree14.jpg

tagwex

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaah look how cute the little sis is!!!!

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blowin mentioned Round the Horne on another thread. I thought it best to post this here.

I loved Round the Horne, though a lot of the inuendo went right over my head. I get it now and find it even funnier. My mum is a big fan of The Goons and we have a collection of their shows on tape.

I was reminded of one sketch when I was at the Opticians last week. The young Optician asked how far down the list I could read and I was very tempted to say 'Printed by J Smith and son, Birmingham' but I thought he'd think I was mad. I shouldn't have worried, when I mentioned the sketch he knew all about it. Very Happy

The other things I remember (and use) are 'My eyes ain't what they used to be ....they used to be my ears!' and 'It's not irrelevant it's a hippopotamus!'

They REALLY don't write 'em like that anymore. Am I the only one who can watch modern 'comedy' and not raise a smile?

Blowin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Sue, you're not the only one. Some modern stuff can amuse, e.g. 'Have I Got News For You' sometimes, but 'H-H-Hancock's Half Hour', 'This is Harry Worth', Dick Emery and 'Til Death Us Do Part' were in a league of their own.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden jokes, games and puzzles All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: