Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

New Laural Hedge Advice

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
ekul
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: New Laural Hedge Advice Reply with quote

Hi,

I was hoping to get some advice on a Laural Hedge I planted at the end of last year.
I have attached some photos to show what it looks like at the moment. I have noticed some leaves have holes in them, some are turn yellow and even a few leaves have fallen off.

When I planted originally I dug trench, removed alot of the old soil, added 1 ton of compost treated screened soil, added some other fertiliser around the roots etc and watered and heeled them well in.

Not sure if I should be treating or feeding or pruning it at the moment or should i just leave it as is and see how it goes over the summer?

(hope the pics are not too big - I have reduced them in size a good bit)

Thanks

Hedge 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  444.27 KB
 Viewed:  874 Time(s)

Hedge 1.jpg

Hedge 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  516.67 KB

Hedge 2.jpg

Hedge 3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  547.47 KB

Hedge 3.jpg

Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look healthy enough, I would not worry about the yellow leaves although evergreen they do shed leaves regularly and grow new ones, i would be concerned about putting fertiliser around the roots as it could burn them, i would just make sure they do not dry out, it they do it will be two years time when you notice the effect. i hope you have space for Laurel as the can get big take up a lot of space, When pruned you will get the smell of Cynaide from them this is natural but dont eat them or infuse the leaves in water and drink.
ekul

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned I did'nt put anything on the roots directly. Just in the soil around the plant.

I don't think I have an issue with them drying out at the moment but I suppose this is something I will have to watch as (if) the weather gets drier over the summer
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would reiterate to make sure you keep them well watered for the first year. (until October.)
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
ekul

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say well watered would I need to be watering it now even when it rains regularly?
What about later in the summer if it gets a bit dryer? Water it every day or couple of days maybe?

(Sorry for the newbie questions but I have put alot of effort into this hedge so want to get it right Smile thanks )
Greengage

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot tell if you have mypex under that stone but it looks very clean so im guessing there is something, If so not a good iidea but thats a different story.
RE water go out stick your finger in the soil if it is dry down to the second knuckle water. Thats a really scientific answer Laughing but it works.
Ahh just loked again and you do have mypex therefore there is no exchange of O2 within the soil so they could be under stress as no air is being exchanged, make sure water is geting through and not staying on the stones and getting evaporated before percolating down.also the weight of the stone on the mypex is compacting the soil underneath the mypex.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: