Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

Timber composter design.

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
BobbyB
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Timber composter design. Reply with quote

Hi, I am planning to make up a timber composter. Some plans I look at suggest spaces between lats on the side and back for air aeration, others suggest totally enclosed even adding insulation to promote heat. Would appreciate advise as to which is best. Cheers.
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own compost bins started out as seven pallets arranged to make two boxes; now replaced by fencing boards, having rotted away after many years. There are spaces about 1" wide between the boards and they work well. Compost takes about a year to be ready.
The insulated kind, hot-boxes, are much quicker, I believe, but I've never used them.
Happy composting!
BobbyB

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Cheers Reply with quote

Thanks for reply,appreciate it , would like to hear from someone who has used or knows about both types.
Might make it solid initially, can drill or cut vent holes if that advise follows. Might be overthinking this!
Cheers.
tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two are made from the timber used to make timber frame houses. Approx. 6 x 2". Rot and fire proof. I made them 11 or 12 years ago after doing a little research as you are doing now and decided to do a variation of one I found in the gardening god Geoff Hamilton book. They are in perfect order still and hold maybe 1-5 cubic metres each. I have a 1/4" slot between all the boards. No problems yet. Cannot comment on solid version other than I done the research and went with slots rather than solid version.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
BobbyB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Composter Reply with quote

Great stuff, will leave slots. Must get a hold of that book. Doing lots of construction and digging/weed and rock removal at moment. If there's a competition for rock discovery I'm in. Sleeping like a baby. Not easy this gardening stuff.
Very Happy
Cheers.
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha nobody ever did, or will, say it is easy Bobby.
I will save you the bother of getting the book, see photos below. Straight from the Tagwex school of design here is my compost bin. Internally there are 3 x 3" posts in the corners to take all the screws. The front section is dropped into slots and is held together by lateral restraint straps used for holding down wall plates. The blocks around the the bottom have so far kept the rodents out. Build on a concrete base to stop same otherwise they just tunnel in. Alternatively use blocks on a sand base as I did or paving slabs.
Compost bins come up on here regular, put compost into the search icon and you will find the old threads.

20160407_091445.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  801.7 KB
 Viewed:  789 Time(s)

20160407_091445.jpg

20160407_091427.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  976.18 KB

20160407_091427.jpg

20160407_091433.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  618.19 KB

20160407_091433.jpg

tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried several times to attach these two photos to previous post and gave up.

20160407_102003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  501.44 KB
 Viewed:  765 Time(s)

20160407_102003.jpg

20160407_102057.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  374.85 KB
 Viewed:  765 Time(s)

20160407_102057.jpg

Last edited by tagwex on Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
BobbyB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Composter Reply with quote

Hey thanks a million for all that. I had a look at that book on the Book Depository after your last post and think I will get it anyway. I am a city boy and this is all new to me,lungs full of carbon. The plans I was looking at before this were suggesting a three compartment job and I ordered enough timber for this!, I also have space for it so might go with it using your design.
Had visions of vedge and fruit everywhere but looking like this year might be prep work and construction. Have my tunnel up and raised bed constructed in it and more outside. Small issue I have is that my plot is some distance from the carpark and it takes an age to get stuff up there. Barrowed up about 25 loads of manure yesterday and I think I need to go to a health farm for a week. Think gym member ship can be cancelled. Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: