Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Spring. in the garden

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Spring. in the garden Reply with quote

Got to plant Potatoes Sharpes express and British queens last weekend, rain and Hail shoowers put stop to play. When the weather improves i will plant Carrotts (Flyaway) Parsnips (Little gem) Onion Setts (Stuttrgarter Giant) adn Kale.
The heavy rain has destroyed lots of Tulips but there is still a good display to come when weather improves. The Crocus have got a bit of a hammering so their best days are over. So too are the snowdrops.
Bees have being collecting pollen from Salix caprea (Goat willow Male) but they are also going over while hazel is dropping its catkins. Next into flower will be dandelions, did you know we have 70 different species in Ireland, Flower shape, stem colour, Leaf position and seed type all help in identification. I know most people dont like them on their lawns but i hope the council dont loose the run of themselves cutting verges after all they have signed up to the All-Ireland pollinator scheme. Did you know they close up in cloudy weather. We used call them fairy clocks and when you blew the seeds off the number left indicated the number of children you would have in the future, lucky for me thats not true or I would be like the old woman living in a shoe.
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can never get to the root of the matter with Dandelions. Smile Smile
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Lius
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage

I have my spuds (Orla again) down since the week before Paddy's, however it didn't seem to speed up the process as I can't see anything above ground yet, still too cold.

BTW, how do you cook the Tulips, Crocus and snowdrops? My wife grows all those flowery things but I haven't seen a meal out of them yet. Smile
tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Lius, it has been a while.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: