Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Allotment craze over.

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Allotment craze over. Reply with quote

I have spoken to a number of allotments holders recently asking them what they were planning on doing this Spring, to my suprise a number of them have given up. After all the excitment of growing your own, TVs and Newspapers were full of enthuastic people lots of blogs and not to mention forums like this one. But suddenly nada there all gone so whats gone wrong. Too much hard work tilling the soil and maintaining the crops sure you can buy food cheaper than you can grow it they said. But is that not the fun growing your own, yea great, but caterpillars, snails, worms never seem to effect the crops on display in the shops. they stay fresh longer too, my carrots go limp after a few days in the basket. I had to dump a lot of stuff I couldnt even give it away, I remember having free range eggs no one would take them because there was a feather stuck to it and it did not have an out of date stamp on it.
Ok what else went wrong I asked. Other Allotment holders were a pain,
Some constructed big sheds and Polytunnels, Brought their dogs and did not control them, Loud music when they were working on site, Drinking parties, Stealing of other peoples crops, deliberitly pisoning other crops. No one in charge of allotment, tension between neighbours. Now I wondered if it was the same else where but could find no info from Ireland so I looked across the water and I see they have/had similar problems I wonder if outside the pale is any different. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8685684/Losing-the-plot-discord-and-disputes-down-at-the-allotment.html
marlin vs
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I gave up on mine for similar reasons a group of old lads next to me actually went to fisticuffs and I had to intervene and the place was like a tip head with people dumping their household rubbish, although I put an awfull lot of work into it it was time to call a halt.Now I just do some growing at home in the garden.
Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think social responsibility has disappeared in recent years, hence the poor behaviour, but for me the only satisfying gardening scene is when you can stroll out after tea, survey your plot and pull out the odd weed. To have to get in the car and drive to an allotment just wouldn't be the same.
tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that does surprise me but then again these competitions can stoke up fierce rivalry. A lot to be said for having your own plot.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Good guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'd have the self-discipline to have a veg garden that wasn't right outside my door.
I think most successful allotments involve some sense of community between members though there is bound to be some ( hopefully good-natured) rivalry.
And, of course, the media do like to turn the smallest situation into a disaster. 'Bad' news sells!
Has anyone ever seen an article headed: "Gardeners save release of xyz kilos of CO2 by avoiding use of peat products".
But there have been plenty along the lines of "EU bans.....(take your pick, curved bananas, soot or coffee grounds as slug inhibitors, ..."
KevinM67

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting thread.

I've had my allotment over here in England for the last 8 years.
It's a fairly big plot (50m x 5m) - and at first, I don't think you really appreciate how much work is involved in its maintenance (especially if you work and/or have other commitments).
Having a really understanding Committee helps - and they gave me some leeway in the earlier years, when it would have been easier for them to either halve my plot or evicted me, as they had quite an extensive waiting list back then.
However, I think they gave me a break - as they could see I was there most weekends, and a few spring/summer nights.
The waiting list has long gone - and we've had vacant plots for the last 2 years.

We've also intermittently get hit with burglaries and people setting sheds on fire. Thankfully, it's not very common and the local Police are a great help.

We have some great people.on site, and regularly have successful community events - but it appears the 'allotment bug' is over, with few new members joining.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: