Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search
Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Ballyrobert Cottage Garden

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: kindredspirit
How to install a pond liner and underlay
Last post: tagwex
Last post: DoneWick
Install the edging - Lay edging logs
Last post: jardinier
Eclipse - The Recessed Manhole Planter
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Ballyrobert Cottage Garden Reply with quote

This is the place I visited last Wednesday, with my friend. I have only one photo as my cameraphone was playing up - also, with the season there isn't a huge lot of photogenic material available yet.
That said, it was a lovely place to visit both as an interesting garden made according to a very individual philosophy and also as a source of plants. The website is well worth a look and has lots of good photos.
The garden was pleasant to walk around, with a stream, pond, wooded areas and lots of beds of perennials and trees with some shrubs. Some nice (and surprising) planting combinations. I was particularly drawn to the hellebores: they have some beauties.
They raise all their own perennials in their nursery and buy in a few trees and shrubs - the variety of perennials is really good and all are suited to local conditions. Such a change from the boring same-old-same-old that I see in most garden centres. One of the reasons I went there was to buy erythroniums for my new alpine beds. I spent more than I intended!
The people are nice to deal with and very helpful. They do a courier service to the Republic at reasonable rates and the place is easy to find, just a few minutes off the M2, north of Belfast. I will be back, for hellebores and gorgeous bergenias!

View of C17th farmhouse, across pond
 Filesize:  368.69 KB
 Viewed:  213 Time(s)

~ 'Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities' ~ Voltaire
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden visits All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: