Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Cherry Tree

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
member88
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Cherry Tree Reply with quote

I bought a cherry tree over 3 years ago. A young one, around 4ft. It's the same size years later and I can't see that it grew any side branches. It didn't fruit the first 2 years which I thought may be the case. Last spring to see would it plump up a bit leaf wise I slightly clipped the ends of the few branches it had just to wake it up a bit. It fruited (about 5 cherries!) but no joy in the leaf department. In the autumn I moved it because it was doing so bad anyway I took the risk. The roots had hardly done anything in all that time. It's in a sunny spot. The ground isn't great in my garden in general but it was put in good compost, and again when I moved it which usually counteracts it. It's so small and twiggy you'd hardly see there was a tree there. I'm thinking there's slow growing...and then there's stagnate! Smile
Anyone have this with cherry trees?
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've put it in full sun. Ideal. I suspect a root problem. The root plate of a Cherry actually runs proud of the soil surface. Did you plant it high enough? Deeper will cause suffocation and root death. Waterlogging will do the same thing. It could be an infestation of Vine Weevil grubs physically eating the roots. I can't offer any more without pictures of the tree in situ.
member88

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tippben wrote:
You've put it in full sun. Ideal. I suspect a root problem. The root plate of a Cherry actually runs proud of the soil surface. Did you plant it high enough? Deeper will cause suffocation and root death. Waterlogging will do the same thing. It could be an infestation of Vine Weevil grubs physically eating the roots. I can't offer any more without pictures of the tree in situ.

Thanks for the help. The garden is quite wet in general and I did keep it quite high but maybe it's not high enough, it's probably the best drained area of the garden, but maybe it's still too wet. Roots definitely didn't spread under the surface anyway, were still very much as they were, didn't notice anything dodgy at the roots when I moved it but wasn't looking for anything like that either, need to have a poke around at the roots Smile
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check that the root collar (where the root system changes to main stem. On your cherry it will be below the graft point) is a tiny bit higher than the surrounding soil. If it isn't, try fixing that first. If it is fine (you can see the top of the root system meeting the main stem), it's another problem.

Put wood ashes around the base of the tree, about 30cm from the stem. This is high potash and will help with flowers and fruit. Spraying the leaves with a seaweed liquid (maxicrop is the commonly found one) will encourage root growth. I'd also top dress with a general feed like fish blood and bone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: