Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

How to prune evergreen oak for shaping

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tomoshea
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: How to prune evergreen oak for shaping Reply with quote

Hi looking for some advice please, have tried an internet search and cannot find anything of substance.

I have 11 holm oak between 4 and 5 meters tall, clear to about 2 meters high, planted April 2014, all thriving bar one, which we nearly lost last year... shed almost every leaf, but has survived thankfully. I posted about this tree last year.

I need 4 of the trees to reach 6 meters and the remainder to stay at about 4.5 meters. I want to encourage hedge formation for screening purposes.

I have seen these trees looking really well shaped and dense in some locations around Dublin.

I need to understand how to best encourage side growth on the existing branch network to generate the density of leaves.

Has anyone come across relevant materials on the web, or is there someone in the Wicklow area that might be able to provide some guidance.

Thanking you in advance
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't understand, side growth, front side or back side or side.
Just prune them in July/August both front and back and leave sides alone they will grow into each other, if they have clear stem are you trying to create pleached effect.
Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Greengage says: pruning, which removes the growing tip of the shoot, encourages new growth back down the stem
tomoshea

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
Don't understand, side growth, front side or back side or side.
Just prune them in July/August both front and back and leave sides alone they will grow into each other, if they have clear stem are you trying to create pleached effect.

Apologies for delay in replying.....

They are standard trees - first 2 meters no greenery/ branches. They are currently between 4 -5 metres tall. I need them to reach 6 meters.

Some trees have lost a lot of leaves along the branches, with new growth appearing on the end of the branches, so they are less dense.

What I am trying to achieve is to start new growth back long the braches heading towards the trunk to thicken out the greenery and reduce light through the trees, as I am using them for a screening hedge.

On the basis of the response I guess that means - just before growth season carefully cut the ends of each branch tip - hoping that new leaves will then grow on the branches and eventually turn into mini branches themselves..
Good guy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully that will do the trick.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they've lost leaves internally, it's a root problem. Either the top of their root system is not at surface level, or they have suffered drought shock. Both will cause the symptoms you describe, as a result of root death. As others have said, the best way to prune is by "tipping out" every twig. Perhaps training some inwards. You'd need a very well established root system before pruning back to bare branches.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: