Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Front Garden Ideas (housing estate no boundaries)

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
TMAK
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Front Garden Ideas (housing estate no boundaries) Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I have decided to do something with my front garden. But I need help and lots of Ideas.

I live in a semi D house in an estate with no boundaries between the front gardens. There is a drive into my house and a small patch of grass approx. 8 m X 6m) which is shared with my neighbour. I have always had a flower bed running the length of the drive but Ive decided to dig it up this year as there were some large heathers in it which were a nightmare to weed under.

Anyway I started digging some of them out today and realised I had no plan for what to do next, Heres where you come in!!
Any Ideas of what to do. I will post some pictures later on. The garden is facing south so plenty of sunshine. the soil was originally peat and its quiet shallow maybe 10 to 12 inches before you hit builders rubble and stone that was used to fill the site.

Thanks
Tommy

TMAK

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the pics. My house is on the right

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1000.5 KB
 Viewed:  1381 Time(s)

image.jpeg

TMAK

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why but only one pic went up

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  118.79 KB
 Viewed:  1367 Time(s)

image.jpeg

Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parterre: Box hedging, Nepeta, geraniums Calamogrostis. Sharp angular design
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears to me that this job might be a little bigger than I thought, and maybe others too, upon first reading. Do you not own some of the lawn area too, perpendicularly out from the rainwater downpipe to the ESB mini pillar? Is this part of the project too or are you just doing the bed that we can see? Strange idea in not having some sort of a demarcation line in the lawns and driveways, can only lead to disputes somewhere down the line.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
TMAK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greengage I Like the Idea of the Partere but as Tagwex has quite rightly spotted, I only own half the patch of "Grass like" area.

@tagwex you are spot on, only half of the patch is mine I am only planning on doing my side, The bed I have there at the minute is there for years and just needs some rejuvenating I am looking for Ideas to extend it or whether it would look daft to extend the bed fill my entire side of the garden.

Yes Its quiet unusual not to have some sort of boundary but a lot of Estates over this side of the country wre done that way during the building boom, I suppose it was one way for the developer to cut costs!!! We are lucky in our estate as everyone is fairly laid back and gets on well.

As its south facing I would be tempted to put some sort of tropical/exotic sun loving plants in it but I'm thinking due to the narrow shape it may look odd, and I'm not sure if the soil would be deep enough..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: