Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Pruning Photinia Red Robin and Portuguese Laurel

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
spiracles
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Pruning Photinia Red Robin and Portuguese Laurel Reply with quote

Would this be a good time to prune Photinia and Portuguese Laurel plants making up a newly planted hedge?

They were planted a year ago (potted) and I want to make sure they thicken out.

If so, how much do I prune? Do I cut the woody stems back to the ground or just the tips of leaves?

Thanks
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prune to shape i would not cut the leaves as they will just die back and fall off anyway, Prune back to a pair of buds with a loppers and when it becomes established you can use a shears, It will look tatty when cut but ill improve over time.
spiracles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I thought I would give you a few pictures.

They were planted last April.

I want to make sure the hedge will thicken up over time. But I'm terrfied to prune as I'm worried I will butcher them.

They were bought potted and I was advised to let them alone the first year, and now the year is up I want to make sure I prune properly from now on.

Is there a bud at the base of every leaf, or does it have to be a bud on it's own like this one?

Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: buds, If you pull off a leaf and stem you will leave a leaf scar nothing will grow from the scar but dormant buds below will be stimulated into growth.

Its difficult to see the pics clearly but they look healthy plants, I would not prune this year but let them grow on and put on more extension growth, I would allow a strong leader and some side shots to develop and grow to the height I want the eventual hedge. I would let it grow a little higher than required then prune back to the height I eventually want it, Any stray outward growing shoots I would prune back now so that is being trained to shape. Just cutting the leaves is not a good idea as they will just fall off and wither. While it is an evergreen hedge if keeps replacing its leaves throughout the year and you will see these old leaves on the ground so dont worry this is natural also keep the grass from growing around the roots and make sure they are watered, They will look grand if they survive a drought but with trees and hedges it is four years later you will see the effects of lack of water as it takes time to work its way through the system and they use up stored energy. Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: