Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

What's gone wrong.

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: What's gone wrong. Reply with quote

This is a copy of a thread from An Administrator on another site I contribute too and I think this is something we should be careful of.

It has come to the attention of the Administrators that many of our boards have started to become a free-for-all. We have about 15 boards, all of which are topic driven. On each of those boards we need to do what we can to stay on topic. Friendly banter within a thread is fine, but that banter really needs to surround some discussion on the topic at hand. From time to time we are loosing the point of the discussion all together. Please help us with this so that the Administrators don't have to crack down on any one. We love to have as much fun as the next guy, really we do.

In the past we have lost members and had some hurt feelings because a question has gotten lost in the banter. Please don't be the cause of hurt feelings. Nuff said!?

There is an area, "Totally Off Topic," where any and all banter is fully allowed. Thread jacking is OK. Even language what is more "adult" will be tolerated up to a point. If you make a post, or even start a thread that you later can not find, it may well be that the Administration has deemed it objectionable and has deleted it. Please don't take offense. Just understand that we must pay attention to the entire board and maintain as friendly an atmosphere for as many people possible. This includes men, women, boys, and girls.

If everyone of us can keep these things in mind as we post, we will continue to grow and have the best reputation on the web. Thank you all for your part in making WR the site that it is. Without each and every one of you, we wouldn't be who or where we are today. Thank you all. From the wood turners resource,
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, Greengage.

" From time to time we are loosing the point of the discussion all together."

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a common thread between this one and the one in the second section above on how to make improvements. I fully agree with the problem that's being identified and did, in fact, write to James last year to see if there was anything that could be done.

I haven't done an analysis but I very much hope that at least 90% of my posts have been to do with the 'business' of the site, either seeking or offering advice, - no, I'm not looking for a medal - and, of the rest, only a handful will be wide of the mark. I'm personally not the slightest bit interested in Twitter-type chit chat but don't object to the existence of a bespoke section for those who enjoy that.

I feel desperately sorry for 'Kim' in another section who feels she ought to virtually apologise when some of the 'Club' members respond to her feelings with the 'Ah. Get used to it!' type of comment. This is a voluntary forum which is haemorrhaging contributors at an alarming rate and, for me, those who can't engage in discussion without resorting to insult might like to consider the greater good?

Good guy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, all. Let's see if we can do it better.
I like the idea of the "Totally off Topic" thread. Perhaps we could adopt something similar and close " what did"?
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that we sometimes go off at a tangent on threads and 'what did you do...?' was meant to be 'what did you do IN THE GARDEN today. But I enjoy our little ramblings and, at the end of the day you don't HAVE to click on that thread.

I hope I am not going to get into trouble for this - it is meant with the best will in the world, but perhaps us more 'robust' perennials should try not to swamp our more 'tender' border companions and instead open our own 'Potting Shed'. Tea, anyone?

tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The potting shed. I like it. Great name for the have a ramble area. I don't recall anyone being insulted though. Teased maybe but insulted is a bit strong.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Good guy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This discussion is happening again, in part, because some suggested that a new member may have been permanently turned off our site by a comment that was meant to be jocular but was open to misinterpretation.
Perhaps any 'Potting Shed' needs a cautionary 'at your own peril' notice to would-be users.
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine by me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: