Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Newbie tips and advice

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts New use for old tyres
Last post: tagwex
Quiet times
Last post: Good guy
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Creamy Roasted Garlic and Mushroom Soup
Last post: Sue Deacon

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
powera24
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Newbie tips and advice Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Nearly finished my first polytunnel and about to start my first growing season. I'm going to be ambitious and pack it out. Looking for any advise and tips for a starter.

Weeds are a problem that I'm dealing with, I was thinking of growing everything in grow bags for the first season.. is that a good or bad idea?

Anyone grow strawberries in a gutter to use up the roof space?

The tunnel is 53 meters and I hope to have the polythene on next week.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  327.24 KB
 Viewed:  4586 Time(s)

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll start you off with one bit of advice anyway. Cover those metal straps with something soft so as the plastic sheeting doesn't rub on it. Also those wooden battens look like they may also touch the sheeting too. Check back on old threads concerning polytunnels. Any amount of info there.
50mm esb ducts???

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
powera24

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, yeah I know about hotspots v the polythene. Those 2 metal straps will be removed.. just there to keep door frame in position.

Year 50mm esb ducting.. I'm happy with the build.. just need to prep the raised beds and put polythene on.

Looking for a neat potting table design if anyone has made one?
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plastic tray in Aldi. About 800mm square. Brilliant. 7. I was going to make one too. Just put this thing up on a bench, it'll be grand.

powera24

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah sometimes best to keep things simple. But I haven't even a bench to work on.. so will have to make that up.
Margo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we get really high winds we dug a 2 foot trench around the Polytunnel and then putting the plastic over with it going down into the trench to be buried. We are so glad we did as we would have had it blown away many a time otherwise
powera24

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi margo, I put steel scaffold legs in concrete and the esb ducting fits perfectly over them.. so hopefully it doesn't move anywhere. I live on the coast so I wanted something really secure
Margo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that should hold then. We live next to Croagh Patrick and we get the wind straight off the Atlantic
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any sign of a former forumite up there in Portrane? Lius was his name. Hasn't been on here in over a year I'd say. Retired engineer, lived in Ballinteer, Dublin, he had an allotment or a piece of land in Portrane and was developing it into a veggie plot?

powera24

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No don't know of him. Where I am in the area.. there is now a lot of home growers from what I've seen. There are a few small fields near by growing cabbage ever year. Don't know them though
irish_khan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Good Compost Package in Market Info Needed to start 1st time Reply with quote

Hi Guys
I am new to Ireland and its weather. I have a backyard and planning to start my veg gardening. I mostly prefer as seed growing and then planting them in pots as starter in Athlone.

Feb - Apr are seed sowing good time and I want to invest in good seeding compost which are availabke in Heavin/Woodie/B&Q / FernHill....
I would like to know which one are promising and not waste of time and money.. I will not mind in expending a bit high rather crying later.

Seeding Compost :
Coir+Vermilite+Compost(which brand type)+ which seeding liquid organic fluid to top up ? Any suggestion on Ready made Product:
Name | Brand | Shop|
+ coir are good in phosphorus but lacks other components ..
+ Is peat free will be ok ?.

Potting Mix: Peat Free or Coco Coir which ever will be good here in Irish weather
- Any Ready product from Heavin/Woodie/B&Q / FernHill.
Name | Brand| Shop| NPK

I have seen some shamrock MP compost whats your feedback ?
Any suggestion on John Inn for seedings are they good which are available in B&Q ..
- Any suggestion on potting soil / compost
-- Are ALDI compost MP good .. ?

My plan on veg:
- Tomoto
- Coriander
- cucmber
-Peas
-Herbs

Fruit:
goosberry
Strawberry
Blueberries: --- I know they need to be on acidic so PH level adjuster will be needed ...

Rest Summer Flowers for backyard beauty --- where MP compost will be OK with additional fluid...

I dont want to mess around on RB and will prefer on Pots...

Please guide me .. I am planning to start this by next week and bit doubtful on the market product and their reliability ...

Cheers Guys have nice weekend ... Hear soon so will update my marketing list and diary

Good guy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi irish_kahn.
Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy yourself on here and in your garden.
You don't say what kind of garden you have or what state it is in. At this time of year it is worth putting effort into preparing plots or raised beds for planting later.
Gardening here is very weather-dependant unless you have a greenhouse or polytunnel unless you are growing seed that is described as "early". Most seed you can buy is intended for the UK or Europe, in which case, add a month to the suggested earliest time for sowing outdoors. Growing seed in modules is a good way of getting started with some crops. I find most seed composts perform ok but John Innes based ones tend to do better for me.
Look up Klaus Laitenberg. He has lots of Ireland-specific advice on veg growing.
Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting, Good Guy. You're highlighting the differences between North and South (hoping we don't get a certain person started?). If I can get on the land or am planting in trays etc., I'll bring forward the sowing dates by 3-4 weeks. Maybe we should advise our friend in Athlone to do what it says on the packet.
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello irish_kahn and welcome to IG.

If you are planning to grow Blueberries in a pot, just know they will eventually need a BIG pot. I would not try to 'fix' any existing soil or compost, I would go straight for an ericaceous mix, with good drainage in the bottom of the container. Put them somewhere where you can appreciate their lovely Autumn colour and enjoy!

tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blowin wrote:
(hoping we don't get a certain person started?).

Ahhhhh the lovely sunny south east.......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: