Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

How's the Craic?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Most Recent Posts Pisonous plant in the garden this month
Last post: Sue Deacon
Quiet times
Last post: Sue Deacon
Honeymoon Honesty
Last post: Greengage
Warning of Stormy Weather, Ireland, 11/3/08 to 12/3/08.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Claire Winters
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Guy also mentioned the front door and the sitting room window. Tagwex, I think you are the one who emphasised the kitchen window. I get the impression that Tagwex likes to "stir things" as much as to garden. I had an uncle the very same. He had a great talent for starting arguments, often without being part of them. "Hell hath no fury" Tagwex? Are you the poor hen-pecked type who gardens for escape from nagging?

My kitchen does look out on the back garden so I would like to be able to see something interesting. I have two bird tables and nesting boxes that I can see from the kitchen and the sitting room because I do love to watch the birds.

Good Guy, your post has been very helpful about breaking things down. I think I was trying to get an overall picture in my head but you are so right. I need to think about using what I have as much as trying to put in what I want. I must go look at that thread now.
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck with it!

Don't mind Wigtax. He and I enjoy annoying each other!
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhhh Claire Claire Claire, where will I start? Firstly you are a latecomer to the party so you couldn't possibly know what has gone on before. To quote yourself, "You seem to know one another very well here."
The kitchen sink is a well used euphemism/metaphor for the lady of the house and for being tied to it. Another quote, this time from GG, "I was just stirring it!" I knew exactly what he was at and just couldn't let him away with it!. My cous Ado also picked up on it and backed me up "Sorry folks yes it's sexist".
Yes, I do indeed love to "stir things up", it can be very entertaining at times. As for being henpecked, I can assure you that you couldn't be further from the truth.
Don't bother looking at GG's monologue, nothing in his garden only rocks and stones! As for my own garden, I just wont have the time for it this year as I have just gotten too busy at work and will have to reduce the plot down by maybe 75% so maybe my posts should reduce too pro rata. I know you will all miss me!!!!!!!!!!

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Claire Winters

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Good Guy's ideas are very good. I think you know that too. You really are like my uncle Rory. One night he passed a comment in the pub in front of people after the parish had a mission. An argument started between the local master and the chairman of the GAA . They didn't speak for 3 years after that and according to my father neither of them could remember who started it.Smile
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha I'm not that bad but I think myself and Rory should meet up to discuss tactics.
PS. Don't go swelling GG's head!!

Claire Winters

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 months later and no progress. I entered a competition for a gardening makeover two weeks ago and I didn't win. I have now become stubborn to get the garden in shape in spite of stupid competition winners (so jealous!)

I have done nothing in the garden as I say. Is it too late? Something, something "r in the month and all that"
Ado 2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Claire. Do not worry. Things are so slow to start this spring. So make a plan and buy the plants already grown ( veg ) or sow seed cos the weather is goin to warm up. You have to go for it cos if you hesitate time waits for no one ! !
Claire Winters

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ado. I will buy plants, or steal (cough, cough I mean procure) cuttings. It is very cold though so I don't feel I have wasted that much time.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back again. Competition huh? Methinks you were looking for someone to do the hard work for you huh huuuuh? If it is any comfort to you then I have done absolutely nothing in the garden since last November. I have to make a burst in the next fortnight or so. How is uncle Rory?

Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, Tagwex, no excuses. The weather hasn't been bad lately and, as a senior member, you ought to be setting a better example? I hope Auntie Sue and your other friends from the frozen North aren't watching.
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes we are. Laughing

Hi Claire, and welcome back. I did nothing in the garden, until recently. There was a time when I'd have been out in all weathers. These days the old bones are not so forgiving. But it is still not too late.

The good thing about the delay is that you should have had the time to fine out the garden's sunny spots, frost pockets and wind tunnels. I don't know what your overall plan is, but if I was you I'd pick an area and go for it! Don't try to fix everything in one go - you'll just wear yourself out and get very depressed.

For over ten YEARS a bit of land at the side of our house was a scruffy, midge-ridden dumping ground. We knew it would cost a bit to do anything and we never had the spare cash. Last year, we did.

The garden went from the first picture to the second in 4 months. It is not a boast, I just want to show you what is possible in a short time (I can't believe it myself sometimes!)

rsz_060(1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  245.83 KB
 Viewed:  3308 Time(s)

rsz_060(1).jpg

rsz_011(4).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  243.41 KB
 Viewed:  3308 Time(s)

rsz_011(4).jpg

tagwex

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blowin wrote:
Come on, Tagwex, no excuses. The weather hasn't been bad lately and, as a senior member, you ought to be setting a better example? I hope Auntie Sue and your other friends from the frozen North aren't watching.

It is not the weather at all. I have just been too busy at work of late (and playing too much golf). Next weekend the greenhouse will be blitzed.
Senior member???? I am nowhere near pensionable yet.
Do you mean the wicked witch of the north and the Letterkenny lad?

Ado 2

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about that myself ie Senior members ! ! ? ?
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another 160 posts and you are there too cous.

Ado 2

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh I thought it was age ha ha silly ol me I mean very Young me ha ha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: