Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs

Clematis Pamela Jackmanii

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
barremic
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Clematis Pamela Jackmanii Reply with quote

Hi all,

I wonder can anyone help me with this puzzle. I have been growing in two very large pots for 3 years now 2 different varities of clematis over an arch. Theres Markhams Pink and Pamela jackmanii.
I have carefully followed the instructions on both for 3 years, which involved cutting back to various heights until this year when it said just to leave them.

I left them tied in to the arch last year and have been checking and tieing since early spring. The markhams pink is beautiful and in full flower now, but the Jackmanii seemed to be quite weak since early on. It was very happy last year. I noticed yesterday that the buds look quite different to what they normally do, and it seems that another clematis (white with 4 petals and can be almost lime green) i cannot remember the name may have moved in to the pot.

Is it possible that the jackmanii could have changed!? as it seems to be running down to the same stem it appears to be the same one that was there last year?

I know this is a weird query but it has me stumped

Thanks

James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Clematis reversion? Reply with quote

Clematis Jackmanii was first created in 1862 by crossing...

Clematis lanuginosa

and Clematis viticella

It looks like your clematis has reverted to the flower of one of its parents....Clematis lanuginosa.
barremic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything I can do, I bought it especially as my sister is pamela and her first son was Jack, so I have kinda grown very attached to the plant and wouldnt want to get rid of it?

Thanks
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any Pamela jackmanii starts to reappear, you can tie it in and gradually cut back the Clematis lanuginosa shoots.
However, I fear you may be stuck with the white flowers.
It will be worth your while to plant another Pamela jackmanii and use the old plant as a climbing frame for it.
barremic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, I guess you learn something new everyday. I had heard of that happening with variegated bushes and shrubs, but I never realised it could happen with Clematis as well.

cheers for the advice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: