Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Hard prune Berberis darwinii?

Most Recent Posts Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: Margo
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Hard prune Berberis darwinii? Reply with quote

We have one planted at they entrance to the house. It's 10' by 7', and was topiarised, but it's 40 years old. There is a lot of dead wood in the centre. Everybody who tries to come to the door gets scratched, and it has become too high for me to maintain it. It is of great sentimental value to my wife, as it was her mother's bush. I'd like to reduce it to about 3 or four stems, about 2' high to 4' high, and continue the topiary tradition, even though I'm not a great fan, but in a "cloud pattern" shape. It is great for the bees and birds, so I don't want to lose it. Given the enormous root system it must have, can it take a savage pruning like that?
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, it's a pretty tough plant. Why not reduce it one half at a time, over two seasons, the way you might renovate an overgrown yew in a hedge? I get lots of seedlings, too and it also tries to spread through suckers.

Incidentally, the berries are good to eat, though a bit on the sour side. They are used dried in Persian cuisine. I made a delicious jam from them last summer - I licked out the last bit from the last jar at breakfast this morning!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: