Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hi there and hello.

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Rachel Brophy
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Hi there and hello. Reply with quote

Hi all, my name is Rachel as you can all see. I have always thought I might be interested in growing things and finally I have decided to plant my dreams and see what happens. i got a present of a bag of crocus bulbs. Some of them have begun to sprout already. Is it too late? Inside /outside?
Ado 2
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome , you can put them into a pot of compost and leave them outside,or in a window box .Dont put a saucer under them in this weather or they will drown but put them in a porch or somewhere where you will see them grow. You will be pleasantly surprised.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome along Rachel. Hope you have more than crocus bulbs!

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're very welcome! As a rule of thumb, plant bulbs about as deep as they are long, especially in containers. It doesn't matter if some of the green shoot gets buried. They will grow. They will flower. As the others have said, Crocuses, and for that matter tulips and snowdrops, are native to the Middle East, so don't appreciate soggy conditions.

When they have finished each flower, dead head them. That will extend the flowering period. When they have finished flowering, feed them with tomato feed, to encourage next year's flowers, then leave them alone until all the leaves have disappeared. They need to suck all the energy they can get into that bulb. Then you can divide them, plant them out etc. The ideal time is September/October for a full show the following year.
Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Rachel. I can't possibly add anything of significance to the advice you have already been given! Please accept my congratulations on joining this august group of plantaholics; may your fingers grow greener by the day!
Rachel Brophy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind welcome. I was not sure if it was too late if the bulbs had already sprouted. I did look in some books but conflicting theories.
I am totally new to gardening. My oldest started school this year and her teacher planted bulbs so my daughter caught the bug. That's why I looked for some bulbs from my friend.

I am sorry about how obviously beginner-like my question was. I thought it was alright to just ask something like that . I don't only have crocus bulbs but I don't have acres of a garden to fill either. I hope that this is not the type of forum where garden experts look down their noses at clueless people like me.

Thank you everyone else for your warm welcome.
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way it is on here Rachel is that we actually look up to beginners because, put simply too much knowledge is a dangerous thing in this game. It is so much better starting out as is it all before you and experimenting is most of the fun.

Good guy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Wigtax!
You might also notice, Rachel, that there is sometimes a bit of good-natured slagging on here. It's all part of the fun!
Never be afraid to ask a question - questions are what it's all about. In any case, we were all clueless once and some of us (no names, now) still are!
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't be running yourself down like that GG, especially in a public place.

Good guy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See what I mean?
tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shall reap what you sow!

Last edited by tagwex on Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rachel, and welcome.

Don't be afraid to ask questions - that's how we all learn and we all had to start somewhere.

I've been a gardener since Adam was a lad, but my sister couldn't tell a cabbage from a camellia - until she got a garden of her own. Now she puts me to shame, she's so flippin' organised. Laughing

OscarKane

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, you're in a great place here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: