Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> The Events Diary, environment and ecology / home and garden.

Climate Change

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: Margo
funny
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Climate Change Reply with quote

In 1992, governments met in Rio de Janeiro and forged the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. That agreement, still in force, bound governments to take action to avoid dangerous climate change, but did not specify what actions.
In1997, the Kyoto protocol. That pact required worldwide cuts in emissions of about 5%, compared with 1990 levels, by 2012, and each developed country was allotted a target on emissions reductions. But developing countries, including China, South Korea, Mexico and other rapidly emerging economies, were given no targets and allowed to increase their emissions at will.
Then on to Bali in 2007 followed by Copenhagen 2009 and now onto paris today another talking shop for politicians and media circus for those who think they know what to do and then the protestors who will not be happy no matter what is agreed and finally nothing will happen, except a new carbon tax for us suckers...........
How did all this circus get to paris without using a huge carbon foorprint, I see we are going to encourage 8 million visitors next season no carbon foot print there either and no wind turbines. So what can you do.
1. use green transport to commute to work (Yawn)
2, Be energy efficient switch off lights (Yawn again)
3. Choose renewable power (Havent figured this one out yet as I have no control over where it comes from on the Island)
4.Eat wisely buy organic locally grown food (Ha Ha Picking myself up off floor)
5, Let store managers and manufacturers know you want products with minimal or recyclable packaging. (Brilliant what bureaucrat thought this up.)
6.Stay off the aroplanes ( that includes this media circus in paris)
7.Let the pollutors pay (Took me a while to get to this which is the important point more tax another level of bureacuracy yes lets see how much you should pay mmmmmmm
8. Ignore all the above and just carry on sure we will all be dead by the time the earth runs out of resources and we will have the rest bombed into vast tracts of uninhabitable land which will be colonised by wild flowers and animals which will be great for biodiversity and we will move all the people into tighter communities where the will be easier to control and extract more taxes and we can start again.
Thats not a bad rant for early on a Monday.
Problem is we have too many people and we are too well of in the west with our fancy houses and big cars and technology but Iam giving nothing up worked too hard to get to where Iam and will continue to enjoy the benifits, Oil fired heating, double glazed windows, warm clothes, proper shoes, Health care, summer holidays, Ah yes life is great.... Laughing
Good guy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could set that to music like that Van Morrison piece where he goes on about places and things around Belfast. Sing/say it in a Tom Waits gravelly tone and it would be good!
Don't bother to release a vinyl, though. Much too high a carbon footprint.
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure vinyl is a carbon sink, good for the environment so.
Greengage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least they made a decision, No cows to fart, No cutting turf, everyone to use public transport, well will offset our carbon footprint against some third world country who are not using theirs. more rain , more flooding, No frost, congrats to our representitives for putting up a good arguement for us.

http://sciencespin.com/articles/7-blog/110-what-is-ireland-s-climate-future

It will maybe surprise some Irish people to hear that Ireland has played a significant part in the global warming story. Not in causing it though -- we're a bit too small for that. But Ireland was there at the very beginning, when the climate change story all started. We have to go back to the year 1976, when the World Meteorological Organisation sent four people to Geneva and locked them in a hotel room for the weekend. There they were assigned two key questions: was the climate changing, and if so, should we be concerned?

According to Prof Sweeney, these were pretty radical questions - at the beginning of the 1970s climate change was not an issue at all. As it happened, one of the participants was an influential Irish figure, senator James Dooge, described by Prof Sweeney as "perhaps one of the most important, prolific and distinguished scientists of the past generation." Nobody knows what was said in this room at the time, but the four emerged with their final conclusion: yes, the climate was changing, and yes, we should be worried.

So that's how it all started, with a significant Irish contribution, after which the story we all know began to unfold.
All off to Zurich next, new plans, new Ideas and problems solved yipee. Rolling Eyes
Good guy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a Pharmacy student friend lending me a book which discussed the burning of ever-increasing amounts of fossil fuels and identifying carbon dioxide as a greenhouse gas. The scientist authors were suggesting that we look very carefully at what we were doing to the atmosphere, lest we run into trouble in the future.
I was studying for my Teacher's Diploma at the time, so it must have been '71/'72. I found the book pursuasive. In subsequent years, anyone I mentioned the theory of man-made climate change looked at me as though I had two heads!
Good guy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good guy wrote:
I remember a Pharmacy student friend lending me a book which discussed the burning of ever-increasing amounts of fossil fuels and identifying carbon dioxide as a greenhouse gas. The scientist authors were suggesting that we look very carefully at what we were doing to the atmosphere, lest we run into trouble in the future.
I was studying for my Teacher's Diploma at the time, so it must have been '71/'72. I found the book pursuasive. In subsequent years, anyone I mentioned the theory of man-made climate change to looked at me as though I had two heads!

Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Planet Earth's population growing at the rate of approximately 70,000 per day, i.e. existing plus births minus deaths, all of which will need to be fed, kept warm, clothed etc., nothing short of an epidemic, a war or a universal breeding restriction of some kind will have any effect.

David Attenborough said a couple of years ago that, in the 50 years he's been making documentaries on nature, Earth's population has trebled and, to quote his exact words, 'this can't go on'. A similar statistic revealed that, between 1900 and 2006 there was a quadruple increase and the USA has published a growth rate of 3,600 per day.

Politicians, on whom we all rely, will only acknowledge problems for which they can see a solution and thus gain election points, so any 'decisions' they make on climate change will need to specify whether they refer to 'per head' or 'per nation'. If the latter, does it take into account population growth?

Good guy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all right. Gaia will fix herself. What happens to humankind, though, will be problematical. However, flood, famine and war over resources should reduce our numbers a bit.
Ado 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what is referred to as Natures Way or Natural Causes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> The Events Diary, environment and ecology / home and garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: