Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Preparation for new site

Most Recent Posts My intro
Last post: Greengage
Hi all
Hello and help needed on watering
Christmas reading.

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Hosta Frequency Kenneth
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Preparation for new site Reply with quote

Hi
I am hoping to start building on a half acre site in the coming months and I want to get a few plants ready for planting in the eventual garden. I know it will be very expensive to buy all new plants for a new garden. To cut back on cost I want to do some propagation/seeding and have a bit of a stock ready for the move.

In the meantime I am renting a house with a small patio with room for lots of pots. I will use pots for cuttings, seedlings etc. I was thinking about planting lots beech nuts, haws, rose hips, conkers, acorns etc into several pots and seeing what comes up.I have taken 20 rose cuttings from my old house and put these in tall pots of gritty compost, and I have taken 20 lavender cuttings and left these in pots in my friend's greenhouse and they seem to be coming on.

I have access to lots of different plants in friends' and families' gardens for division or cutting. I have a friend with lots of lovely red stemmed dogwoods for example.

I am close to the site and could plant some things in a temporary nursery area out of the way of the construction.

Any comments on what I am doing so far? Any advice or tips on what i could be doing over the next year or so to build up some plants, or ideas on how to prepare for a new build and garden?
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe when your ReadyMix lorry comes with concrete for the house, put down concrete bases for sheds and garden concrete paths at the same time to avoid disruption later on?
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Hosta Frequency Kenneth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never though of that, good idea!
Ado 2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bare root time is nearly here when Garden Centres sell little hedging, trees and roses at a fraction of the cost. Also fruit bushes fruit , trees, rhubarb, strawberries. November ..., check it out
Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, it wasn't until I read your original post for the second time that I realised you only have half an acre. You're obviously going to put your house on it plus a garage and driveway etc., so one each of Oak, Beech and Horse Chestnut, if left to mature, will fill what you have left? I admire your enthusiasm but aren't you being a bit optimistic with what you want to grow?
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing like forward planning. He might be thinking of only sowing the best plant of each type Blowin.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know Blowin, you can pack quite a lot into 1/2 acre! I've done it twice!

What I would suggest is, if you are planting big trees put them on the North side of the house or you'll end up like us - living in a clearing in a wood Rolling Eyes And don't for goodness sake plant sycamore. Not unless you want to be waist deep in leaves and covered in sticky honeydew. Good God I hate those trees!
Hosta Frequency Kenneth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going for the 'throw everything at the wall and see what sticks' approach with the tree seeds. I've never planted tree seeds before so I'd be delighted if even one or two grew. I like hawthorn, at my last place I planted cherries, birch, apples and rowan but the bog standard thorn that came with the house turned out to be my favourite.

I might be underestimating with the half acre, might be more like 3/4. There's an area that I'd like to use for small woodland, I'd rather that than a massive lawn.
Hosta Frequency Kenneth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah sycamores are a disaster, one of the toughest weeds to pull out of a bed! I think they're only good when left to grow in the middle of a large, horseless field, several miles from any garden...
Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stress the 'horseless'!!!!! A neighbour (who admittedly isn't over generous with food for them) lost a donkey and pony in the same day. The vet opened them up and found them with lots of sycamore seeds in them which had poisoned them.
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

half an acre would be plenty for a few big trees - a plot 100 foot by 220 foot is half an acre; if half the plot was taken up by the house and driveway, that'd leave a 100 foot by 100 foot garden.
my parents in law live on 0.4 of an acre and were able to get a few mature trees in - a big willow, a eucalyptus (killed by the frost a few years ago) and a big cedar, with smaller maples, fruit trees, and beeches too. and they've got plenty of lawn.
Ado 2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest planning from the outside in. That is hedging and wall climbers. Then trees , borders , lawns etc... As I mentioned before hawthorn and beech , viburnum, privet, escallonia etc hedging can be bought for less than a 1 each in Autumn
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that MK, you have confirmed that my garden is 1/2 acre (as best I can figure it - few straight lines!)

We have a wood down the west side of the garden. The front part of it has 2 Ash, 6 very old apple trees, a self seeded birch, 2 hazel, 4 hawthorn, 3 spruce and 9 Scot's pine. Hence the warning about shade!

The side of the house, down to the back boundary is a wedge shaped plot where our new 'Japanese' garden is. Here we are down to 8 mature spruce. I have also planted a small cherry and purple leaved plum.

Even with all that lot, I still have enough room for two small lawns and five borders. Plenty to keep me busy! Laughing
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blowin wrote:
Stress the 'horseless'!!!!! A neighbour (who admittedly isn't over generous with food for them) lost a donkey and pony in the same day. The vet opened them up and found them with lots of sycamore seeds in them which had poisoned them.
Another reason to hate the wretched things!
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's lovely wood for turning though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: