Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Preparation for new site

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts Planting asparagus
Last post: Sidney Pink
Happy Christmas
Last post: Sue Deacon
Pisonous plant in the garden this month
Quiet times

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kenneth!!!!

Any updates on the tree planting?

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Hosta Frequency Kenneth
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've got loads of little oaks from acorns in pots, will plant them when they get a little taller

My horse chestnut conkers germinated very well, 100% I think but from what I hear they are doomed to extinction. Over the summer they looked quite sick, I will probably plant them further away and let them do what they want..

Got 15 beech whips and planted them last winter, was out checking them every week in spring, thought they were a dead loss but they all eventually leafed up, some not till as late as June!

I planted some nice specimen trees too, chinese dogwood, field maple, plum, liquidamber, and some sort of conifer i can't think of...a lot of these were damaged by rabbits, it was the last thing I expected. I put guards on them but I think some might be beyond repair. I'll wait and see...it's all part of the learning curve.

I found a few rhubarb clumps in a compost heap and salvaged them, they're coming along nicely in the last few weeks
I cut pack some grass in parts of the site and scattered lots of foxglove seeds, threw in a clump of agapanthus that my mother gave me, they're emerging now.

The little baby echium plants I rescued while on holiday last year have died back but I can still see the stumps in the ground, hopefully they'll come on again..

I've several clumps of snowdrops that I got from a neighbour, all sitting in pots They cam from a site with japanese knotweed so I went through every clump carefullf looking for roots. I'm going to leave them in a container for a year at least and see if any JK emerges before putting them in the ground.

I have the greenhouse up since last summer, lots of cuttings of lavender and some rosemary cuttings (from a bunch I bought in centra) in there too, along with some seed packets waiting to be planted,
Several small canna plants which came from dividing a big plant I bought last year

A few roots of kniphofia in pots, also came from my mother's garden.

Shed is also up, full of garden tools and a DIY potting bench all waiting to go

I\ve several pots of roses I took from hardwood cuttings from the house we moved from

4 or 5 pots of tulips that I planted up last autumn and kind of forgot about, flying up now.

I've a sandy trench filled with cuttings of around 40/50 box plants, unknowingly donated to me by another neighbour.

I've lots of salvias and achilleas in pots that I grew from seed last year.

...and I've a bananna plant in the shed waiting for spring to spring!

House will be ready to move into in May (hopefully) so that's the final piece of the puzzle!
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very informative.
Someone has been busy.
'Unknowingly' might need some explaining! !!

Hosta Frequency Kenneth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I helped the neighbour by pruning back a little bit of box that was growing over the wall and out on to the footpath....don't think they even noticed. Still waiting for the thank you card....
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the cover of darkness maaaaybe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: