Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

New Lawn with Charlock Problem

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Seaniemac
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: New Lawn with Charlock Problem Reply with quote

Hi, I have a new lawn that was sown about 6 weeks ago and the grass is coming along nicely. The problem is Charlock or as it is also known around these parts, Praiseach Bhuí. Some of it has flowered and by this I mean a few dozen over a quarter of an acre lawn, but the rest is around 6-8 inches in height and is at the leafy stage. I`m not sure what`s the best approach at this stage and I would really appreciate a bit of advice on how to get rid of it. Thank You in Advance. Question Question Sad
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will grow to the height of yourself.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not wory about it, it is an annual plant and once you cut your lawn that will be the end of it.It probably grew from seed already in the ground and when you tilled your soil for planting the lawn you brought it to the surface where it recieved light and rain and germinated. As a matter of intrest seed like these only need to be planted on the surface of soil to germinate, people always bury seed too deep.
Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it really bothers you, and there are only a manageable number, you can buy these 'touch and kill' products that we see on TV. Walk round the lawn, touch each plant and they should each wilt and die without affecting anything around them. I presume, by Charlock, you mean what is also known as Kilk or, more widely since it has been grown for margarine production, Oil Seed Rape? It shouldn't cause you too much trouble unless, of course, you let it flower and go to seed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: