Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> The Events Diary, environment and ecology / home and garden.

disposal of aluminimun foil

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Most Recent Posts Pisonous plant in the garden this month
Last post: Sue Deacon
Quiet times
Last post: Sue Deacon
Honeymoon Honesty
Last post: Greengage
Warning of Stormy Weather, Ireland, 11/3/08 to 12/3/08.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Elsan was simply an 8? Gallon cylindrical bin with a fairly conventional loo seat on the top. It was primed with a jet black liquid, something like gearbox oil consistency, that was intended to keep the unit hygienic and odour free.

People would use it until it was full(ish), at which time some lucky soul took the main bin out and consigned it to a pit or trench as described earlier. It was then re-primed and off it went again.

Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I didn't marry any of them - at that stage I preferred to chase the two younger ones around a hay meadow, with a captured frog! I actually called to the farm early in the summer - I hadn't been there for fifty odd years. One of the girls, the only one who was interested in farming, still lives there, with her husband. It was nice to meet and rake over some very old coals. It was odd, sitting in the kitchen, remembering what was where - the range, the settle, the table and dresser. All changed now, of course and Rex the dog is long gone.
An Elsan is a chemical toilet - basically a capacious bucket inside an outer shell which has a seat and lid attached. You pour an evil jeyes-type liquid into the bucket and add a small amount of water. It's best if people pee elsewhere as that fills it too fast! They were used at remote sites until the early '80s at least because when I started as a scout leader we borrowed one for camp, from a parent who worked for RTE. then we bought a couple.
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh Jaaaaaysus I think I would have held on!

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a settle?

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good guy wrote:
It was odd, sitting in the kitchen, remembering what was where - the range, the settle, the table and dresser.
If I remember rightly, a settle is a wooden seat something like an old church pew with cushions.

Your mention of the range reminded me of a guy I used to work with. He would have fitted right into this thread. He once told me, when he was a boy they had a two-seater loo (cosy! Shocked ) He used to say things like, 'get down off the cooker grandma, you're too old to ride the range'. Laughing Laughing
Good guy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The posh name for a settle is 'chaise longe' but not much French was spoken in rural south Fermanagh in the early '60s! It's a sort of sofa with an arm at one end only and a low rail with padding running about half way along the back.
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, definitely not the settle I know. Mine was much more rustic! Laughing
tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A chaise longe is what I had pictured in my head. A psychiatrists chair!!!

Geranimojess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue Deacon wrote:
. My dad saved all manner of things 'in case they come in handy' - GJ you would have got on famously with

Your all talking about an Era well before my time... Embarassed ...Hoarding sounds great but it can get out of hand when "Everything" becomes so valuable it must be saved even down to the rusty nails stripped from previous Jobs which I still do...I still hold onto old Electrical Tools until my Son visits and convinces me that they are "Dead" and to get rid of them...even then I sometimes need a 2nd Opinion...Rubber Gloves get 2/3 wears before discarding... Rolling Eyes ... but from watching some of the Hoarding Programmes on TV I'm not in that League... but the 100's of LP's-Singles-Cassettes I began collecting in my Youth still remain in my possession and will do so til' I drop...call it Nostalgia / Sentimentality but I can associate with every single one of them and that to me is priceless..........

Now that's an idea for a new Thread..."What did you Hoard today" Wink
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i collect rusty nails and the like in a bucket; though they go to the metal recycling centre on my occasional visit there; why pay to have something disposed of when you can drop them off to be recycled (and get paid for it, if you've enough of it)?
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have some of my dad's hand tools, paint brushes and tins with assorted old/unusual fixings. He was very organised and would clean all tools before putting them away. How unlike OH, who must be the messiest man alive, bless him. He can never find anything. When I do tidy up after him I have boxes for electrics, plumbing, tiling etc that I put stuff in. There is also a 'God only knows' box - that's the biggest of the lot. Laughing Laughing

We still save old handles, hinges etc because it is true what they say - they just don't make stuff like that anymore. As OH would say 'as rare as rocking horse poo'.
Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if they do still make stuff like that, Sue, the enormous value of having something 'in stock' that will do a job is to be prized. We live in a small village, albeit a mile outside of it, and the nearest town is about 7 miles away so, if I suddenly need a nail/screw/bolt etc., it's inconvenient to have to get in the car and go for it (plus costly in relation to the item itself).

I bet OH is glad he's got you? Or should be.

Good guy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it's nice when one of the boxes/jars/tins of ends and ends yields up some long forgotten useful yoke and you can say 'Ah, that's where I put it,'
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue Deacon wrote:
I still have some of my dad's hand tools, paint brushes and tins with assorted old/unusual fixings.

i recently liberated some old tools from my dad; he's not sure ohw old they are, but at least 50 years old. a few wooden hand planes, spokeshave, and a tenon saw. unfortunately it's beyond my ability at the moment to sharpen the saw.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Treasure pieces to have...there is a Tool for sharpening old Saws which can be purchased in any good Tool Shop...Mc Quillans in Capel St in Dublin is the best...it's a simple task but Tedious and Time consuming but the end result is worth the effort...not something you can do with todays Steel which is to soft...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> The Events Diary, environment and ecology / home and garden. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: