Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Site for a Poly Tunnel

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts What are you planting now?
Last post: Greengage
Whats wrong with my apple tree
Is planting a laurel hedge bad for Irish Environment
Brexit

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried St. Lomans Hospital, the Hermitage Clinic, and, directly across the N4, is a secondary school. Loads of green spaces there?

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
BobbyB
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh mine too, but I dont think he'd have let me put a poly t on his one either. Smile
BobbyB

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know there is a right of way through the Hermitage down onto the Liffey bank, the security man wont allow me on it!! They would flog me with a VHI private insurance plan folder if I even asked.
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I said long ago that a national school or a private garden that the owners cannot manage anymore would be your best bet. With the school you will get a bit of funding so long as the students have access.

Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might seem a bit basic, BobbyB, and I don't know what sort of environment you live in, but someone suggested neighbours' gardens where, say, they're old and can't really cope with gardening any more. Excellent idea, of course, and better still if you can find one 'just up the road'. For a bit of veg here and there, I'm sure they'd be delighted.

So, why not print off a few notes (4 or 5 to a page), cut them up and stick them through letter boxes. Try 10 houses either side of home first but, if no luck, move outwards from there. At least if you're a near neighbour you won't be a total stranger they're letting into their property.

Greengage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Site for a Poly Tunnel Reply with quote

BobbyB wrote:
Hi There. I am retiring, I am a keen home gardener but with a very small garden. I am hoping to get a spot to rent where I could put up a polytunnel. I am not interested in a communal allotment- have looked at all of them that have possible space in my area, I am looking for something more private and as near to where I could be as organic as possible. I live in South Dublin- and anywhere in around Lucan, Palmerstown would be ideal. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would be greatful. Cheers and Thanks - Bobby.

What do you mean as organic as possible, How would you feel if I approached you to park my car in your driveway, Living in Dublin you do not have the same community spirit as you would have down the country some people do not even know who lives next door to them, A small poly tunnel would would need approx 12 sq metres that is a lot of space to ask for in a garden especially when you may start off enthusiastic but you weane as the season progresses, What about starting with mens sheds.
BobbyB

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Polytunnel Site Reply with quote

Got sorted-bit bullet and went for an allotment (private site was never going to happen). Found a very nice one with a good site not a million miles from where I live, and my dog is welcome-can even put a few chickens on it if I want. Next step is to get my tunnel sorted- then find out what to plant and when.
Probably spend this spring and summer getting sorted, fencing, compost heap, plant some fruit trees- can't wait.
Will be deffo looking for advice-happy days.
Cheers
tagwex

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least you are sorted. The community spirit in those allotments is great. Better get cracking as you have a lot to do in a short space of time.

BobbyB

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Polytunnel Site Reply with quote

Yep,and thanks for taking an interest. Will post a photo when I have something to show. Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: