Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Could I grow Hazel as a pot plant?

Most Recent Posts Pooktre
Last post: tagwex
...What did you do Today...
Last post: Sue Deacon
Help with front garden beds
Last post: mel.b
Good Guy went to Keuchenhof Gardens, The Netherlands
Last post: Blowin

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Olwas2013
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Could I grow Hazel as a pot plant? Reply with quote

I got a Hazel sapling from Coillte yesterday at the ploughing championships and I want to keep it as a pot plant so I could carry it with me when i move out of my parents house as I want this tree to be special to me and stuck in a different garden than mine. I will give it a large pot. Can this be done?
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
Olwas2013

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx thats great
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it can. Remember that the tree will be totally dependent on you for food and water. The way to go about it is to start in a small pot. When you see roots growing out of the bottom, pot it on into a larger pot. Go by the "rule of thumb". The next pot should have a gap about the length of your thumb between the edge of the rootball and the edge of the pot. If you put it straight into a big pot, there will be too much compost, which will end up very soggy and anaerobic, preventing the tree from thriving. If the leaves look pale, it needs feeding. You will need to repot once or twice a year.

You can also layer hazel, which is probably how your plant was propagated. If your plant gets too unwieldy, as in the pot gets too massive and heavy, in the winter, bend over one of the stems, cut a sliver of bark off one side, then peg that part about an inch deep into a fresh pot of compost. It will root, powered by the original plant. The following winter, you can cut the connecting stem, and Bingo! You have a clone. You can then plant out the original specimen somewhere, and continue to have what is technically the same plant, and start the growing on process again. Theoretically, you could keep the "same" hazel as a container plant for the rest of your life.
Keeks
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tippben wrote:
If the leaves look pale, it needs feeding.

I have always wondering what you should feed a potted tree.....what does a potted tree need to survive....I suppose it will depend on the tree but in general what nutrients does a potted tree need.?

tippben wrote:

You can also layer hazel, which is probably how your plant was propagated. If your plant gets too unwieldy, as in the pot gets too massive and heavy, in the winter, bend over one of the stems, cut a sliver of bark off one side, then peg that part about an inch deep into a fresh pot of compost. It will root, powered by the original plant. The following winter, you can cut the connecting stem, and Bingo! You have a clone. You can then plant out the original specimen somewhere, and continue to have what is technically the same plant, and start the growing on process again. Theoretically, you could keep the "same" hazel as a container plant for the rest of your life.

Can this be done with any tree?
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Keeks, unfortunately you can't do this with every tree. Re tree feeding, I spent several years working in a nursery specializing in large containerized trees. The compost from potting on would keep them fed for about two months. Once a year they were given general slow release fertilizer - the inch long pellet things you can get in any garden centre, but we bought them wholesale. They were also given fish blood and bone, and seaweed feed if they started to look pale. Conifers were also given sequestered iron. In short, you treat a containerized tree exactly like any other plant. The only difference is that they are hungry, but also resilient. If they get lots of food, they grow faster, and need potting on. If you starve them a bit, or don't repot, they slow down, or even stop, and will look bad, but recover very quickly when fed. The exception is conifers. they will shed leaves, and only grow from the tips, so they need a lot more attention than deciduous trees.
Keeks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers tippben
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: