Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

Lean-to poly tunnel or green house

Most Recent Posts can anyone identify this
Last post: Sue Deacon
...What did you do Today...
Last post: Sue Deacon
Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Ivlia
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Lean-to poly tunnel or green house Reply with quote

I am currently living in a mobile home and with the wet cold weather coming I would like to put up a lean-to greenhouse or poly tunnel against one side of the mobile. It would need to be approx 6' deep and anything from a minimum of 6' to 30' long. As the mobile is only going to be a temporary residence and we are hoping that our permanent bungalow will be ready for us next year the structure will need to be taken down and moved when we leave. The structure will be used mainly over wintering plants, rabbits in hutches, and also for wet umbrellas, boots, a wheelchair and walker. After we move it will be erected against the rear wall of the property and used for over wintering plants and rabbits in hutches as well as early growing of salad plants and other heat loving vegetables during the summer. My main requirements are that it is a lean-to structure, easily and cheaply constructed, preferably covered in poly tunnel plastic as this can easily be repaired after accidents happen (stupid neighbours). It won't be on a solid base, just grass, and as it is a mobile home we can't screw or nail into the side so am not sure how to fix it, nor am I sure whether to buy a ready made structure and put it up or to make a frame using wood and just cover with either poly tunnel plastic or the plastic corrugated sheets. All I know is that we have to do it shortly before winter sets in, and that it MUST be able to be moved next year when our permanent home is finally built. If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations I would really like to hear them because at the moment I'm not sure where to look. I am really looking at no more than Euro1,000 but would prefer much less if possible.
Ivlia, North County Dublin
Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivlia - The option I'd go for is the corrugated plastic sheets. When your permanent home is finished you can erect something more substantial and re-use the sheets in that but, as a temporary measure, you might think about lengths of red electricity cable ducting that can be bent over from the ground to the side of your mobile home. The plastic sheets can then be bolted to them lengthwise with plastic washers on the outside so as not to damage them. Depending where south is, you can then cover the ends with spare sheet polythene or anything else you have available.

Most of Ireland has to contend with wind, especially in winter so, to anchor it in position, I'd buy a couple of things like giant screws you can buy in DIY stores for tying ropes to. One each end of the structure can be screwed into the earth close to the wall of the mobile home and a rope from one, over the roof about 2ft from the mobile home and down to the other one to hold it in position.

Next year, when you put up a permanent one, the sheets will almost certainly be redeployed for the roof or sides. The anchors will last for ever and can be used here and there for many anchoring uses. The red piping could make semi-circular crop protectors if covered with plastic netting or even wire netting. If this method costs you more than half your maximum now, I'd say you're in the wrong shop PLUS most of the materials will last into the future for re-use.

If not clear, let me know?

tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would leave it independent of the mobile and make it from treated 50 * 50mm battens at whatever spacings match the plastic sheets. Coach bolt them together and it is totally demountable and easily put back together again. Put a capping sheet of some sort over the exposed battens to prevent rot setting in. Get some rebar from a building site, bend it to something akin to a walking stick and use them as anchors. Save up for a proper glasshouse! A much better job in the long run.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: