Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Wildlife, Irish Wild flowers and nature gardening.

A plan at last.

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
oops
Last post: Margo

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: A plan at last. Reply with quote

A plan at last lets hope it does not gather dust on a shelf and gets acted on.
I had my say yes.....
http://www.biodiversityireland.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/All-Ireland%20Pollinator%20Plan%202015-2020.pdf
Good guy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was so surprised to hear about this on Morning Ireland. It is so unusual to find editorial emphasis in the news media being directed towards topics that can't be conveyed in a sound-byte.
It will probably take continual nagging by relevant interest groups to ensure adequate action.
Greengage, were you by any chance a covert investigator of public opinion in this matter? Who do you work for, Teagasc?
Isn't it great that ireland is leading this?
Greengage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does not matter who pays the wages, my words are there verbatim but ill never get the credit, thats not my concern once the man has made the commitment I can pursue my goals. I keep telling the lads there's more than one way to skin a cat.
Good guy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your cat-skinning expression. It's one of my favourites and I use it a lot.
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the main difficulty to tackle (after a mere skim of the document) is that it can't be tackled in a single definable task; it's a 'woolly' issue in that it's a confluence of multiple problems to address, and not even one the goverment can simply outsource to one or two NGOs.
in short, i suppose i'm saying a lot of the deliverables involve a change of mindset from many people, and that's probably a tough nut to crack. though i wish the initiative the very best.

worth just popping in that we've an escallonia at the end of the garden - probably about 4m tall - and it's just coming into flower now. one of the best plants i've seen for bees; last year in the autumn it was swamped with butterflies and emerging queens stocking up for the winter months.
Greengage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things the caught my attention.
1. Coillte do not seem to have signed up and they are huge stakeholders in relation to land they control.
2. Biodiversity Ireland are based on the WIT campus if you look up the campus site you will see manicured lawns, artificial football pitches, tree bases sprayed and no wildflower meadows, maybe they should look outside their own windows first.

if you check out their website (Biodiversity Ireland) one of the pictures is of the Wellington monument in the phoenix park and it has a number of suggestions to improve that area. Thats not going to happen,As i was recently at a discussion relating to this site and it will need a huge mindset change for that to happen so you can scratch that for a start. I mentioned earlier that I had an input but already I received a plan for a long border, the following are on the list , Dicksonia antartica, Phylostachys nigra, Astilbe, Hydrangeas, Cimicifuga what in the name of blazes have they to do with pollination , so you can see what its up against, plan released yesterday and already the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. Sometimes you just wonder is it worth the effort, but we will soldier on.
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they want plants that underpaid, undereducated contractors can look after i suppose.
Greengage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now were getting to the core of the problem, because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind. i know someone famous said that. Laughing
Good guy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making these kinds of big changes to mindsets does take a long time. There are no quick fixes. We will never return the world to the way it once was - that is an impossibility. But we can help it to repair itself if we give it a chance.

Sometimes there are lots of people sympathetic to an ideal but they lack a catalyst to begin the reaction that will force change. Think of how people's sympathy was transformed into outrage by pictures of a toddler dead on a beach - that outrage forced governments into (imperfect) action. Maybe we will need to be presented with some catastrophic environmental event before people's concerns about our degrading world have a galvanising effect on the governments of the western world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Wildlife, Irish Wild flowers and nature gardening. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: