Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Newbee

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Apples
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Newbee Reply with quote

Hi all,
Fairly new to gardening.
Grew 10 sugar snap plants, 6 corn and 2 pumpkins this year in my garden and am thinking of getting myself an allotment ,

Anyone able to point me in the right direction, I live Sandyford
[/i]
Sue Deacon
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Apples and welcome.

If it's an Allotment you want, then I'm sure there are folks on here who can help you. But I would ask the question - have you any idea of the time, commitment and sheer hard work involved in taking on a 'new' allotment? It might be enough to put you off gardening for life! Laughing

I really don't want to put you off - far from it. I think the fact that you've grown pumpkins and corn is pretty amazing. I've never even attempted pumpkins - I have enough trouble with courgettes.

Perhaps you can start closer to home. How big is your garden? You would be amazed at what you can grow in even a small space (pumpkins for one thing!)

If you don't think you have the space at home, perhaps there are allotment holders out there who might share some of their space (though I know the council can get crabby over that).

What are your gardening interests, apart from veg? Tell us more. Looking forward to hearing your plans.
Apples

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sue,

Thanks for your reply,

This is why I joined this forum, I want to get as much info as is can before committing to anything.

I have a small flower bed in my front garden that I have some Begonia and pansy's in to try brighten up the garden, but im looking to plant something more substantial, the soil there has been very bad and last year I dug it out because there so much slate and stone--the soil is much better now

I also have a 12 foot wall with a narrow bed along it but the soil there is not very deep, there seem to be a concrete path about 4 inches below--I was think of planting herb or shrubs along it,

the reason I grew the Pumpkin/corn & sugar snaps this year was my daughter, she is 3yo and love coming out to the garden and watering the flowers and veg, and digging up the weeds

Any and all feed back is welcomed, reading stuff on the web is one thing but getting real feed back is pricless
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello apples and welcome along. Have a good look through the myriads of other threads here and you will pick up on the information that you seek. Sue is right though, getting an allotment ready is a huge undertaking never mind tending to it once it gets going. From what I can make out it will be a massive increase on what you have already. Also, I wouldn't get too hung up on the pumpkin thing. I grew one this year and it easily takes up a radius of 4 metres. That is not a great return in produce compared to the amount of ground taken up.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember being 3 years old (a LONG time ago). I remember my dad helping me to plant apple pips. Two of those pips grew into fine trees. It fascinated me, and set me on a course to be a life-long gardener. The saying 'from little acorns, mighty oaks grow', could not have been more more appropriate! Laughing Start 'em young.

Your little one will want to see results - and as a novice gardener, so will you! Salad stuff grows quite fast and I think marigolds are lovely flowers to grow. They have big seeds (for little fingers to hold) and grow quickly and flower for a long time - you can eat the petals too.

I would not be without a pot of snowdrops. Just when you think spring will never come, these little flowers defy the weather and never fail to make me smile. Smile

My sister didn't get the gardening bug until she had a place of her own, actually her husbands old house, a terrace with a tiny back yard. She created raised beds and filled them with all sorts of things. When she found they could not reach the back gate without a machete, she finally got an allotment!

They moved house and she now has a small(ish) garden packed with flowers, a greenhouse and a raised veg bed. It is amazing what you can pack into a small space. Very Happy
Ado 2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in a small garden. I have climbing passiflora, roses. Honeysuckle , climbing hydraenga, and clematis and a pear tree along the walls. I had one veg patch where I grew different stuff every year from onions , peas, spinach courgettes, corn and a perpetual cabbage. This year We built a greenhouse on that spot so I grow ( in big pots ) celery , spinach, leeks, salad ie lettuce rocket and other salad greens. In the greenhouse I have cucumbers tomatoes, peppers and lots of salad greens. I still have my cabbage in a pot and under the climbers on back wall I have raspberry bushes and I did strawberries in hanging baskets. Oh and I grew new potatoes in big compost bags
Ado 2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put pear but it's actually plum a Victoria plum ha
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look up the one square foot method. I think poster Lius is an advocate of this method. Look up his posts.

tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Mighty oaks" Sue? You are a petite little woman with size 4 feet, a la Mrs Jekyll so no, not a mighty oak. Plus you are a serial Heineken drinker with a criminal record (all of which you have previously admitted on here) and as for your garden helper, Luke, well I just don't know what to make of that Mrs Robinson!!!!! The mind boggles.

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got nothing better to do? You are wrong on so many counts that I don't know where to start. So I won't bother.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh Sue. All tongue in cheek. Fight back.

Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, Apples. I hope you enjoy yourself on here and get the information you need. Gardening is a wonderful occupation, with so many different rewards. One of the best things about it is that unlike so many other things, it never finishes! It just goes on getting better.
Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Apples - Scouring all the other post will, as has been said, produce many answers but I'll repeat one point I've made before.

There's nothing quite like wandering out of your back door on a summer's evening and relishing what you have there. I realise many have no alternative but going elsewhere for an allotment can't be the same in my opinion.

As a half and half measure, something I've seen to work back in the UK, you may find there are some old folk nearby for whom their own garden is getting a bit too much. Offering to take it over with a promise of veg from what you grow, can be an answer - and they'd probably enjoy having a 3-y-o around if the truth's known? Much better than trekking a couple of miles in the car if you can avoid it.

Keeks
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would echo what the others are saying..... Getting an allotment can be daunting and can be a lot of work to start with if new to gardening.

best to start and make use of the area you do have and work it until it is too small for your needs and you have out grown it.

There are lots of things that can be grown in containers and in interesting ways. Half the fun in garening is experimenting and using what you have to your advantage.
Ado 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon a garden is like a painting Do the background first ie the hedges or climbing plants and work in .....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: